Interesting teachers, interesting hobbies

Provided by B. Samore

Sharing his poetry, Bradley Samore was a featured reader at the Poets of Palm Beaches from when he lived in Florida. He now teaches literature at our school and writes poems outside of school hours.

Maddy Fryar, Staff Reporter

Normally, we think of teachers as one-dimensional people–they teach us a lesson in the period we have them, and then we leave for our next class and do not think about them again. It is rarely considered that they are people that have lives outside of school, just like we do.  Upon asking some of the staff about their lives and hobbies, I got some interesting responses.

Many of you know Mrs. Margery Clemmer as your science teacher. However, outside of school, she has a passion for carpentry and woodworking. Clemmer has constructed many of the pieces around her house, like her bed, TV table, and her shelves. Mrs. Clemmer’s grandfather was a carpenter who taught Clemmer’s father, and would always get her to help him, so she grew to love the work. Her latest project is building shelves for her house. She is constantly on the lookout for wood to incorporate into new works!

Mr. Bradley Samore teaches Creative Writing and English, but his passion for literature does not stop there. He has a slew of hobbies, including playing piano, trumpet, and practicing tai-chi. Samore has played for various professional bands, and currently has 31 poems that have been published. “I am inspired to write because I enjoy putting universal human feelings into words,” Samore said. He loves making people smile and letting them know that their issues are understood. He is currently working on new literature pieces and is coming up with a few chords for a new song.

Mr. Paul Klikas proudly directs JROTC for Millbrook, and his leadership continues into his other hobbies. He loves to run, swim, bike, and shop for his dog. Klikas’ proudest achievement is serving for the US Army for 27 years with thousands of brave men and women. He is inspired by the motivation and drive he sees in every cadet he leads at our school. Klikas is currently working on a book on Army leadership.

Mr. Garrett Southerland teaches American History I and Modern Genocide Studies. Outside of school, he is a theatre critic for the Raleigh and Durham area of Talkin’ Broadway, a news and discussion site about Broadway and Off-Broadway productions. Southerland recently reviewed the Love Never Dies production at the Durham Performing Arts Center. His proudest accomplishment is when he was chosen to sing with a prestigious group in college and traveled the nation to perform in various venues, such as at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and at Walt Disney World. Southerland is inspired by knowing that he is making a difference in the lives of his students. He is currently working with the NC Council to distribute Holocaust exhibits to 33 counties of our state.

Do not be afraid to strike up a conversation with your teachers about what they do outside of school hours. Millbrook’s teachers are people too, and amazing people at that. You can never predict the fascinating responses you might get.