How to shop for the holidays

Lying wrapped around the tree, the gifts the rest of your family have bought mock you, as you are the only one who has waited until the last minute. This year, don’t procrastinate; put forth the right amount of effort in purchasing your gifts, and skip sifting through a picked-over selection.

Pexels.com

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter

The holiday season is here, and it is time to prepare your presents for all your friends and family. We have all experienced the feeling of apprehension after realizing the holidays are right around the corner, and you do not yet have gifts for everyone on your list. This year, prevent stressful, last-minute rushes to the mall by being more organized during your shopping.

Prior to your shopping trip, ensure that you have planned as much as possible. Compile a shopping list of what you may want to gift your friends and family, even if it is not final. When you buy gifts on a whim without a clear idea of what you want to buy, you will notice a significant loss of time due to the simple mistake of disregarding the planning process. You may also find it valuable to make another list consisting of stores based on each gift recipient’s personality. You most likely know your friends and family well enough to be aware of where they typically like to shop, so take note of that when choosing their gifts. Have a broad outline of what you are looking for, and the shopping process will become considerably easier.

While you are constructing your shopping list, be sure to set a budget as well. You need to know and evaluate your limits before you go shopping. In terms of expenses, holiday shopping can quickly get out of hand, especially when you want to buy multiple gifts for each recipient. Many stores intentionally display particular items around checkout areas and registers that may cause you to pick up something you didn’t plan to, adding to the total cost of your purchases. Having a plan can help you avoid these areas. If you do not track your spending, you may realize that your trip has cost you more than you had originally intended.

Predominantly, do not procrastinate! When you delay your holiday shopping until the last minute, you may find that all of the preferable gifts are picked over. You will also find it difficult to be able to spend the amount of time necessary to pick out a first-rate gift. You will want to have enough time in order to put thought into everyone’s gift. Sophomore Briana Whelan points out, “I think it’s the thought that counts, so don’t just buy something to buy something.”

Along these same lines, it is important to shop early so that you are able to take advantage of the best deals. With Cyber Monday upon us, today is a great time to start. Online shopping is one method of skipping the long lines and crowds that you may encounter in stores. Some of this year’s most appealing Cyber Monday sales include Target’s fifteen percent off sitewide and free standard shipping, Amazon’s various “Deals of the Day,” and Nordstrom’s reduced prices on popular brands such as Adidas, Free People, Topshop, Patagonia, and more.

To minimize the pressure of holiday shopping, be sure to start early and prepare ahead of time in order to have all your gifts wrapped and ready to distribute to your friends and family. Then relax and enjoy a stress-free holiday season!