Dazzling light displays in the Triangle

christmas-specials.wikia.com/

The Great Christmas Light Fight is a competition where families compete to win $50,000 for the best light display during the holiday season. Check out the season premier tonight, December 4, on ABC and watch the Heindel family from Raleigh take on the challenge.

Taylor Jones, Staff Reporter

As we start to purchase holiday pajamas and snuggle up with our hot chocolate and warm blankets, we consider enjoyable ways to spend quality time with family and friends for the upcoming holidays. Towards the end of Thanksgiving and beginning days of December, residents begin to assemble their holiday decorations. These include Christmas trees, lights, blow- up snowmen, holiday wreaths, and more. When asked her favorite part of the holiday season, freshman Jennifer Mirabal-Rodriguez said, “My favorite part is seeing all of my family, eating a lot of food, and the Christmas trees and houses full of lights. These things bring me peace and make me happy.” Thousands of people gaze at spectacular light displays as they walk with their family and friends, but dread the costs and waiting in line because it can exceptionally crowded. If you and your family plan on visiting displays this holiday season, you should get there on the early side or before it starts in order to avoid the long lines. Here are the top holiday light shows in the Triangle area that you will find helpful during the most wonderful time of the year!  

The first place is the Lake Myra Christmas Lights in Wendell. The last day to see this display is December 31, and they are open 6 p.m. to 10 p.m, Sunday through Thursday, and 6 p.m. to 11 p.m, Friday and Saturday. The cost is free, and they serve hot chocolate depending on the night.

Meadow Lights just outside of Benson is a 30 acre spectacular with lights, a train ride, a carousel, and a story of Jesus’ life. Admission is free, the train and the carousel rides are two dollars, and pictures with Santa are six dollars. The display is open 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Lastly, the Hill Ridge Farms light display in Youngsville  is open 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday. At this event you can ride a covered wagon through the farm, watching the thousands of lights they have up. Depending on the night you go, there will be a bonfire as well as hot chocolate will be served. There is also a ton of fun activities like train rides and slides. Admission is eight to twelve dollars depending on the night you go, and the cost includes the hayride and kids under two are free.

If you prefer to see local lights from the comfort of your home, tonight is the season premier of The Great Christmas Light Fight. The Heindels, a family from Raleigh who live off of Creedmoor Road, will be featured. Check out the premier tonight on ABC and go visit their display in person at 8501 Sleepy Creek Drive. You can see their light display at no charge. In addition, the town of Wake Forest had a winner on the show last year. The Piper family took home $50,000 for their display at 5725 Fixit Shop Road. Their display has over one million lights, and you can also  take  a train ride and have pictures taken with Santa. Expect a crowd, but admission and the train ride are free.