Super Saturday is your last chance!

Waiting+in+extremely+long+lines%2C+Black+Friday+shoppers+brave+the+mall+to+get+some+good+deals.+Super+Saturday%E2%80%99s+shopper+turnout+is+expected+to+be+similar+to+that+of+Black+Friday+this+year.+

flikr.com

Waiting in extremely long lines, Black Friday shoppers brave the mall to get some good deals. Super Saturday’s shopper turnout is expected to be similar to that of Black Friday this year.

Margaux Hunter, Staff Reporter

Super Saturday takes place on the last Saturday before Christmas every year; this year it happens on December 23. Super Saturday, or Panic Saturday, is a holiday shopping bonanza, with many items on sale, similar to Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

In the past, shoppers have come out on Super Saturday strictly because of the Christmas countdown, and the fact that it is their last chance to buy gifts for the people in their lives that (ouch) they might have forgotten about. In the past, shoppers never needed the discounts to come out and buy gifts, which is why holidays like Black Friday and Cyber Monday became so popular. However, in recent years, retailers have imposed discounts that are reminiscent of Black Friday sales in order to clear out the picked-over items left in stores. This year, Super Saturday is predicted to surpass Black Friday for the most sales of the year. Forbes even dubbed this special Saturday as the busiest shopping day of the holiday season in 2016.

As Black Friday is the beginning of the holiday season for retailers, Super Saturday is known as the last day of the holiday season for retail, with many items being picked over. But many great deals live on to the coveted last Saturday before Christmas. Especially this year, since there was an extra weekend in between Thanksgiving and Christmas because of the way the holidays fell. Last year Christmas Eve fell on a Saturday; therefore, Super Saturday was moved up to December 16 because most stores close early on Christmas Eve. This extinguished some of the hype surrounding the busy shopping day.

According to sophomore Genny Hauser commented, “My dad has worked in retail for practically his whole adult life, and he says it is a madhouse the weekend before Christmas. I do think that it will be a huge day for shoppers. I also plan on shopping for gifts this Saturday.”

This year, Super Saturday will be just two days before Christmas, so do not worry because you still have time to get all of your extended family, as well as all of your friends and acquaintances a gift just  in time for the holidays.