Style File

Wrapping up and staying stylish for winter

M. Fryar

Smiling for the camera, junior Jonathan Alvarez dons a heavy feathery coat. Feathers have been all the rage for the winter season due to the luxurious look and feel they give off.

Maddy Fryar, Staff Reporter

We as a state are not known for having cold temperatures, but nonetheless we bundle up for the winter months. Fall coming to a close meant a flood of new trends for the snowy season. This year, we are seeing cool metallics and feathers that can add an edge to any layered look.  Here is a look at what is new in the frosty fashion world and how you can incorporate it into your wardrobe.

First seen at Chanel’s Fashion Show in November, silver metallic fabrics have been donned in multiple articles of clothing, mainly jackets. The aluminum-like look instantly gives off a modern, high-fashion feel to your daily wear. You can add this to your clothing with holographic patches, silver ballet flats, or even buying a shiny silver bag to accessorize with. The cool undertones that silver has help bring your normal outfits into something more appropriate for winter.

Both Balenciaga and Alexander McQueen created the rebirth of fancy feathers this season, namely white feathers. On the runway, they have been seen on floor-length trains and on the hems of pants. The stark white of the feathers, like silver metallics, adds a frosty vibe to your ensemble, while providing function as warmth. You can sport this trend without looking like an ostrich by considering a feather coat or handbag. This way you can still be just as stylish without shedding all over the hallway!

Fighting for fashion without the cruelty, Saint Laurent has brought back patent leather in full force. This season, we saw sleek black pleather modeled in catsuits, leggings, and moto jackets. The look of leather is classic- it always adds a sultry, chic feeling, no matter what you are wearing with it. For style inspiration, think when Sandy goes bad from Grease— all you need to pay homage to this trend is a deep black pleather jacket thrown on top of any attire.

Finally, akin to how the color red was a trend in the fall, the color turquoise is currently all the rage. Valentino rocked it first with an all-teal ensemble that many other names soon copied. Turquoise has always been an elegant color, worn only by those who know how to pull it off. However, you can wear it by adding a pop of color to your outfit with a teal shirt, or by wearing some delicate turquoise jewelry. Walking in head-to-toe aquamarine may not be realistic, but the color electrifies a wardrobe and is definitely an attention-grabber.

This season has mainly seen clothing with icy undertones, for obvious reasons. Feathers are a nice change to set 2018 apart from the previous years, where fur was popular for winter. Sophomore Mariann Milla remarked that her favorite winter trend is the color turquoise. “It’s such a bright, fun color,” she said. “It makes your outfit stand out and makes you look like an ice princess.” As the temperatures lay low and the snow days roll in, stay tuned for the next edition of the Style File to stay updated on what’s hot (or cold) in the fashion world.