Sport of the Month

Swimming

Racing+through+the+pool%2C+Sara+Beth+McLamb+shows+off+her+butterfly+stroke.+Sara+is+one+of+the+top+returning+girls+in+her+event+and+is+eager+to+have+another+great+year.+

G. Copeland

Racing through the pool, Sara Beth McLamb shows off her butterfly stroke. Sara is one of the top returning girls in her event and is eager to have another great year.

Seraphin Kibonge, Social Media Editor

The best kept secret in Millbrook athletics, the swim team, has been quietly one of the most potent programs in North Carolina. There are many factors that can be used to determine the strength of a high school sports team. Two of these factors are championships and college commitments. The boy’s and girl’s swim team at Millbrook have plenty of both and should be seen as formidable state contenders.

One of the few sports at Millbrook not practiced on campus, instead they practice at the Millbrook Exchange Pool, the swim team has still been able to compete at a high level. Led by head coach Mr. Jones and assistant coach Mrs. Palmer, the swim team has already shattered multiple team records, both in relays and in individual events. However, that is not all they want to accomplish this year. Senior Sophie Clayton-Luce said, “Our team goals are to just score as high as we can at conference, regionals and states and just continue to improve and have the most fun we can while doing it.” While they are always enjoying each other’s company, the team also pushes each other to reach heights they would not think are possible.

Depth is everything in this sport, and both teams have plenty of that. The boy’s team depends on a nucleus of seniors, including Hunter Pigg, Thomas Wright, Davis Payne, and Ethan Qualle, but they also have plenty of swimmers behind them that place in their events. As said by Mr. Jones, “We are a young team, but there should be some pretty good things on the horizon for us this season.” Meanwhile, the girl’s team, led by Sophie Clayton-Luce, Adriana Cera, and Sara Beth-McLamb, also have swimmers who are able to compete at a high level. The hopes are that this depth can lead to some state titles in the near future.

College commits are littered throughout both teams. Plenty of seniors have committed to their respective schools, including Sophie Clayton-Luce, Davis Payne, Ethan Qualle, Josh Legge, and Hunter Pigg. Mr. Jones is a proponent of this, explaining, “To get to go to the schools they wanted to, and to continue the sport they love is phenomenal.” However, he believes that the most important part to his coaching is that “Each swimmer, regardless on if they swim in college, sets goals and to improve upon these goals and see their hard work come to fruition.”

Filled with talent in all events, the Millbrook Swim Team is destined to accomplish some great things this year. The common goal for all members of the program is to win a state title, and with how they have been performing to start off the season, that goal is within their grasp.