MHS students on the move to Atlanta

With+preparation+almost+over%2C+Junior+Theatre+Festival+is+about+to+kick+into+full+swing+with+young+theatre+groups+around+the+world.+This+weekend+thousands+of+theatre+students+will+gather+in+Atlanta%2C+Georgia+to+participate+in+an+internationally+acclaimed+event%21+

mtishows.com

With preparation almost over, Junior Theatre Festival is about to kick into full swing with young theatre groups around the world. This weekend thousands of theatre students will gather in Atlanta, Georgia to participate in an internationally acclaimed event!

Logan Powers, Design Editor

Every year, from January 12-14, and then again from February 9-11, thousands of elementary, middle, and high school students gather at the Junior Theatre Festival. The first festival held mid-January in Atlanta, Georgia, takes place this upcoming weekend, and the second taking place in Sacramento, California, is in less than a month. Theatres from around the world are excited to be taking part in this acclaimed event. There are even a handful of students here at Millbrook who are preparing for their chance to compete in front of a panel of judges for major awards. The Junior Theatre Festival is the world’s largest celebration of young performers in musical theatre. This festival brings together hundreds of theatre groups who will perform a fifteen minute segment from a Broadway Junior show for judges against a rigorous rubric. The weekend-long party features professional development for teachers, workshops for students and parents, and a New Works Showcase featuring new musicals that are soon to be released for licensing.

One particular MHS student, senior Lindsay Powell, will be attending JTF this year for the second time and looks forward to another awe-inspiring experience with Durant Road Musical Theatre. When asked about her past experience at JTF and what she is most looking forward to at this year’s festival, she said, “ My first year of JTF was last year in Sacramento for the first festival held there. I  am mostly looking forward to going to the festival in Atlanta because I’ve never been, but  everyone I have talked to has spoken amazingly about it.” Lindsay considers her other cast members as family since they are very supportive during the rigorous rehearsal process.

Another student, junior  Lily Gaddis, has also taken part in the Junior Theatre Festival in the past. She attended with Raleigh Area Children’s Theatre, or Raleigh ACT. She has attended JTF for over three years now and wanted to say, “JTF is such a wonderful experience, both from a learning and community standpoint. The workshops are absolutely fabulous, and the people are one of a kind. It’s a place like no other.”

No matter which theatre they go with, both actresses had an amazing experience at JTF and love the atmosphere of each convention center whether it be on the east or west coast. Though there are many ways to describe JTF, Lindsay gave the best explanation when she said, “One last thing I’d like to add is that JTF is a great experience for any young actor/actress looking for an intensive and professional opportunity in the world of theatre.”