Wrapping up Winterfest

Making+a+splash+with+their+performance+in+Winterfest%2C+the+MCs+and+performers+gave+the+student+body+an+outstanding+Winterfest+assembly.+With+some+of+the+best+students+Millbrook+has+to+offer%2C+Winterfest+2k18+will+surely+be+remembered.+
Making a splash with their performance in Winterfest, the MCs and performers gave the student body an outstanding Winterfest assembly. With some of the best students Millbrook has to offer, Winterfest 2k18 will surely be remembered.

D. James

D. James

Logan Powers, Design Editor

The annual assembly of Winterfest has come and gone, and this year students have been outspoken about the performance and ceremony. With less time to prepare this year, due to snow days and having the event moved up, the MCs and other performers were still able to come away from the event with pride for what they were able to accomplish.

One of the main focuses for the MCs this year was to give all attention to the Outstanding Seniors, who were the honorees of the assembly. Olivia Burnette, Essence Ferguson, Mariel Vasquez, Ryen Boleware, Aydriyan Upchurch and Logan Powers have all been involved in a variety of areas at Millbrook and were able to represent the majority of the student body as MCs. A handful of performers were also a part of the Outstanding Seniors, and these hard working individuals exhibited their outstanding qualities in the performances.

Though there was not a common theme throughout the performance, the assembly was with the normal level of enjoyment. Some of the best performers Millbrook has to offer were assembled to give the student body an outstanding show. Individuals like Skyler Mundahl, Keerti Kalluru, and Justin Reid wowed the crowd with their amazing dance moves, along with the African Student Association dance team. One of the most memorable moments from Winterfest came from the dynamic dancing duo Halima Thomas and Kaisaan Abdul-Rahman. In the first performance of Winterfest, Kaisan came close to landing on Halima after flipping over her for their ending pose. He recalls this saying, “Sometimes performances have their mishaps or situations where you have to adjust and that’s exactly what happened. I had to adjust, but in the end practice paid off. Trust is a big part of having a partner, so I’m just happy Halima trusted me.”

Not only were there some amazing dancers, but some wonderful vocalists as well. Soloists including Blessing Okafor and Camden Phoenix were accompanied by group acts like Nick Bitleris, Katie Krull, and Anna Overton, along with Taryn Gillaspy and Ashwin Mundra. Senior Ashwin Mundra said, “I would encourage any and everyone to audition for Winterfest because it’s an amazing experience. Through the mistaken names, to the Outstanding Seniors, this year’s Winterfest was one to remember.”

Senior and MC Essence Ferguson said it best:“Winterfest went great this year. I had a blast being an MC; I think overall the show was enjoyable!” Together, the MCs, performers, and Outstanding Seniors made this Winterfest one for the memory books.