Seventh annual NFL Honors: Honoring the NFL’s best players of 2017

++Battling+through+a+tough+game%2C+Patriots+quarterback+Tom+Brady+calls+for+a+play+in+order+to+deliver+a+complete+pass.+Brady+received+the+NFL+MVP+award+for+the+third+time+on+Saturday+after+having+lead+his+team+to+a+successful+13-3+season+and+another+appearance+in+the+Super+Bowl.+
  Battling through a tough game, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady calls for a play in order to deliver a complete pass. Brady received the NFL MVP award for the third time on Saturday after having lead his team to a successful 13-3 season and another appearance in the Super Bowl.

flickr.com

flickr.com

Taylor Jones, Staff Reporter

The NFL Honors show aired Saturday, February 3, at 9 p.m., the day before Super Bowl LII. Awards like MVP, Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year, Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year, Coach of the Year, NFL Man of the Year, and the Touchdown Celebration of the Year awards were handed out to the most talented and deserving athletes. Rob Riggle, American actor, comedian, and retired Marine Corps Officer was the host of the award show.

The New England Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady was named NFL MVP just 24 hours before he would play for his sixth Super Bowl ring.  This was the third time Brady was named MVP, although it was not his best year statistically. This season he completed 66 percent of his passes for 4,577 yards, threw 32 touchdowns, and only 8 interceptions. The 40-year-old quarterback is the oldest MVP in NFL history and led the Pats to a 13-3 season and an appearance in Super Bowl LII.

The Offensive Player of the Year award went to Todd Gurley, running back for the Los Angeles Rams. Gurley came in second in the league with rushing yards. With 1,305 total yards and scoring 13 rushing touchdowns, Curley was a deserving recipient. Aaron Donald, defensive tackle, who also plays for the LA Rams, won Defensive Player of the Year. With Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald winning Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season, the Rams to accomplish a triumph that had not been done in 14 years. The Rams also took home a third award, given to their head coach, Sean McVay, for Coach of the Year.

The New Orleans Saints also had a monumental night, as running back Alvin Kamara received the Offensive Rookie of the Year and cornerback Marshon Lattimore walked away with the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. The Saints had a tough start to the season after losing back-to-back games, but came alive and fought hard to go on an 8 game winning streak because of the performance by Kamara. This season cornerback Marshon Lattimore had 5 interceptions and defended 18 passes. He had an outstanding year as he finished in the top ten for defended passes. Teammates Kamara and Lattimore were the first teammates to have both won Rookie of the Year in many years.

The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award was given to J.J. Watt, defensive end for the Houston Texans. He was recognized for his millions of dollars in donations towards Hurricane Harvey relief. Sophomore Callahan Spessard said, “An athlete should always have a good attitude and be supportive on and of the field. They should always have confidence in themselves and their teammates.” J.J. Watt was a perfect candidate for this award because of his known excellence on and off the field. Watt positively impacted the cities and people he came into contact with by raising money for his family and friends.

Lastly, the Philadelphia Eagles were presented with the Touchdown Celebration of the Year award. This year was the first year that this award was presented after the multiple touchdown celebrations that went viral this season. The Eagles won this award because of their “Electric Slide” celebration in the fourth quarter during their 31-3 win against the Chicago Bears. The Eagles, with the help of their quarterback Nick Foles, won this years Super Bowl in which they got to celebrate with even more excitement!