Tragedy strikes South Florida High School

WikimediaCommons.com

After the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the school will be closed at least through the weekend. This shooting left 17 people dead and 14 injured.

Robbie Cicciari, Sports Editor

Yesterday afternoon around 3:00 pm a gunman opened fire on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The attack left at least 17 victims dead and 14 injured after the gunman pulled a fire alarm sending students out of their classrooms and outside the school. As they exited the building, they were met by the gunman, 19 year old Nikolas Cruz, a former student at the school. Cruz was recently expelled from the school due to disciplinary problems, according to Broward County Public Schools. Using a rifle, Cruz shot students exiting the building and then followed those running back into the school. He allegedly targeted classrooms with students hiding in them and shot in the classrooms through the windows. He then evacuated the building amongst the other students where he was later found in a neighboring community. This is now listed as one of the ten most deadly shooting in modern US history. Law enforcement has said that Cruz is now facing 17 counts of premeditated murder.