Driving at a risk

Flickr.com

Driving while impaired can lead to a trip to jail, or even worse, death. Alcohol has claimed many teen’s lives as they made the wrong decision.

London Gardner, Photography Editor

In the state of North Carolina, teenagers are able to start driving at the young age of 15. In driver’s education, they are taught the dangers of driving under the influence and measures to prevent accidents. However, these efforts often do not work as many teens jump behind the wheel before thinking about the consequences.

Although the amount of drunk driving accidents among teens has decreased in the last decade, it is still a big problem in the United States. Motor vehicle crashes claim the lives of over 35% of teens aged 16 to 20 and of that percentage, 36.1% involve alcohol. The consumption of alcohol slows down the central nervous system, which means that alcohol affects the cerebellum and causes people to make riskier decisions while also impairing vision. In a moment of danger, the driver is unable to make fast decisions or movements. Alcohol also affects the body’s ability to balance, hand-eye coordination, and stability.

Last year, alcohol was found in the car of a Leesville Road High School student involved in a hit and run. This student’s body was found less than a mile from her home, as she had run off after the accident. In January 2018, three teenagers were killed in a collision on Buffalo Road. The man partly responsible was charged with five counts of aiding and abetting as he had served alcohol at the house party he was having. The three teenagers involved in the crash had attended this party and left sometime after midnight. Sophomore Bryce Potter said, “To avoid teen deaths involving drunk driving, there are many steps that we can take. These include putting stricter regulations on purchasing alcohol, raising awareness on both to not drink and drive, but also on what to do if you came across someone that has been drinking and then attempting to drive.” Drunk driving accidents may seem like something that is only seen on television, but it is a very real problem. Driving under the influence is an issue that will affect your life in the worst way, and it needs to be stopped.