Style File

Who decides what you wear?

flickr.com

Strutting down the runway wearing trendy dresses, the models are captured on an audience member’s cell phone. Thanks to social media, fashion can be documented quickly for others to view and draw inspiration from.

Maddy Fryar, Staff Reporter

Your clothes say a lot about your personality. We tend to pick items that represent who we are or who we want to be. However, inspiration is usually drawn from somewhere. The question is where? In today’s world, who influences what you buy and what you walk out the door donning?

Celebrities use their presence in media to keep in touch with fans and maintain their image.  A majority of their image comes from their wardrobe, which is usually decided by their stylists. Celebrity wardrobe is a mix of personal choice and pieces that they are paid to promote to the world. The most popular figures that influence women’s fashion are, no doubt, the Kardashian family. Ever since the introduction of their reality show Keeping Up with the Kardashians in 2007, the ladies have used their fame to make a mark on the fashion world. It is thanks to them we saw the rise of knee-high boots, nude tones, and glamorous accessories in the 2010’s. Other female celebrities known for influencing women’s fashion include Amber Rose, Emma Stone, and Millie Bobby Brown. In recent years, hip-hop artists are who primarily influence men’s fashion, such as celebrities like Migos, Kendrick Lamar, and Drake. Due to the popularity of these men, distressed styles, luxurious shoes, and extravagant jewelry, such as chains and high-end watches, are highly coveted looks.

Besides celebrities, the rise of social media platforms in recent years has also contributed to the fashion we see today. Before, inspiration was drawn right off of what we saw in magazines or what public figures wore to important events. We still do that, but thanks to social media, we can find out who is wearing what immediately. “I think we use social media as a fashion inspiration because it’s helpful to see what others are wearing when you build your look,” sophomore Nia Anderson said. Social media influences fashion by allowing the user to access things they like quickly and show how other people are incorporating pieces that the everyday person already owns.

Fashion is also dictated by the cultural and economic climate. Fabrics and materials may be used more or less often depending on their scarcity. This was best exemplified during the Great Depression, since the majority of the population was living in poverty and could not afford more expensive fashions. Plain fabrics and garments went into style because of this. Meanwhile, today more and more celebrities and  everyday people are seen sporting materials like faux fur and pleather, since using real animal fabrics is now frowned upon in today’s society.

Fashion has many influential factors, from what we decide is attainable as opposed to what is not. In the end, no matter what the world says about what you should wear, your wardrobe is your call. Your clothes are a crucial part in what make you individual, but it is alright to take some inspiration from those that influence you.