The wedding that is “Meghan” a statement

Pictured snuggling together, the happy couple interacts with British civilians. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle married on Saturday, May 19 at St. George’s Chapel.

wikimedia.org

wikimedia.org

wikimedia.org

Olivia Burnette, News Editor

At 5am EST, folks from all over the globe tuned in to see Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, marry American actress Meghan Markle, who is most commonly known for her role on Suits. This is a groundbreaking marriage for many reasons, including the fact that Markle is not only the first woman of color to marry into the royal family, but also the first Catholic, divorcee, American, and well known actress.

The service began with a star-studded ensemble trickling into the venue, with big names like Oprah Winfrey, Serena Williams, Amal and George Clooney, James Blunt, Idris Elba, David and Victoria Beckham, Troian Bellisario, James Corden, Elton John, and Priyanka Chopra all there to watch Harry and Meghan tie the knot.

Once everyone took their seats, Princes William and Harry began marching in their traditional black Household Cavalry uniform, although Prince Harry provided a modern twist to his ensemble by choosing to leave his beard unshaven, something that caused much playful speculation. Next was Markle, who stunned onlookers with her boat-necked gown designed by British designer Clare Waight Keller, who recently was announced the first female Artistic Director for Givenchy. However, having a groundbreaking woman in fashion design her gown was not the only subtle feminist statement Markle made; she also became the first royal bride-to-be to walk herself down the aisle, something that proclaimed her independence.

Once both Harry and Meghan make their strides down the iconic black and white tiles in the St. George’s Chapel and they were shown standing next to each other at the altar, it became evident how much they truly cared for each other. Prince Harry was shown whispering to Meghan that she looked amazing and gushing as to how lucky he was.

The event was presided over by Bishop Michael Curry, who had previously been appointed as bishop for the Diocese of North Carolina in 2000, until he was elected leader of the Episcopal Church in 2015. Once Harry and Meghan exchanged their vows and their giggly “I do”s, 19-year-old cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason wowed audiences with his performance. “This Little Light of Mine” played out as the happy couple stepped into their carriage, signaling a long and joyous relationship to come.

Olivia Burnette, News Editor

Hi, Cat Talk readers! My name is Olivia Burnette, and I'm a senior here at Millbrook. I love reading, hiking, yoga, playing with my dog KJ, and getting...