The future of education at Millbrook

P. Lenderman

Working as science teacher, Mr. Herndon’s, teaching assistant, senior Kiley Willey is getting ready to graduate high school and start college at East Carolina University. For all other students also hoping to become a teacher, Millbrook offers a Teacher Cadet class to give them a look into what it would be like.

Peyton Lenderman, Features Editor

As the year comes to an end, college is getting closer and closer for graduating seniors. The rest of their lives lie ahead of them as they decide where to spend the next four years. Juniors, who are feeling the pressure of impending college applications, also see their unknown futures loom overhead. However, some students already have a clear idea of the path they want to take: education.

While some students might not want to end up back in high school, others view teaching as an opportunity to impact future generations. Senior Kiley Willey, who wants to become a high school science teacher, said, “I hope to spread my love of biology to others, and to provide support to my students when I guide them into the next phases of their lives.” Teachers are vitally important to the future of our country, as they are the ones to shape the scholars of tomorrow. Kiley stated that her teacher inspiration was Mr. Herndon, as “he strengthened my love for biology and has been a strong advocate of me and my desire to teach.” Without people like Kiley, who are willing to encourage and guide tomorrow’s youth down a positive path, our future would look a lot dimmer.

Here at Millbrook, we have are lucky enough to have teachers from all different backgrounds. It is important to utilize the knowledge they have to offer us, especially for those looking to become teachers themselves. Mr. Beller, a history teacher who has been at Millbrook for seven years now, describes teaching as “a rollercoaster, but ultimately a learning process that you have to appreciate and trust.” He also advises students “not to be afraid of failure.  It’s surreal to watch yourself crash and burn, but you can learn from that. It’s boring to play it safe.” There is also a lot to be learned from newer teachers as well, such as Ms. Shelstead, a senior English teacher. Fresh out of college and on her first teaching job, Ms. Shelstead encourages future educators to “make sure you’re teaching something that you’re passionate about,” and emphasizes the importance of setting a foundation of mutual respect with your students. “Students are unique individuals with their own opinions, and all opinions deserve respect even if you don’t agree with it,” She stated, “You want your students to respect you, but they won’t if you can’t respect them in return.” While most teachers, and students looking to become ones, look at teaching as something you are in for life, that is not always the case. Mr. Nolan, who teaches IB Theory of Knowledge and American History, tells students that being a teacher can be rewarding to gain front-line experience which can then be useful to pursue other career paths, like running for city council, or starting a non-profit that benefits education. “Give as hard as you possibly can for ten or twenty years. Burn out spectacularly,” Nolan said,  “But use the knowledge you gained from the experience to make an impact on a larger scale.”

For students looking to become a future educator, or even considering the possibility, you might want to look into Millbrook’s Teacher Cadet class, taught by history teacher Coach East. “It’s a class for people looking to become a teacher down the road, or even for those just looking to learn more about the educational system,” Coach East described. The class is not running this coming school year, but will be available to rising seniors during scheduling for the 2019-2020 school year.