Remembering our military citizens

Remembering our military citizens

Protecting our country each day, Captain Allen, Henry’s dad, is stationed at Fort Bragg alongside hundreds of men and women who fight for our freedom. Memorial Day weekend is a time to reflect on the sacrifice that these men and women make everyday for our freedom.

H. Allen

H. Allen

H. Allen

Jillian Brookshire, Staff Reporter

Every year on the last Monday of May, Americans all over the nation celebrate Memorial Day. Although, for many, Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer and an excuse to go to the beach, Memorial Day is really a day of remembrance for all the men and women who died fighting for our country.  

This special day of remembrance began after the Civil War, and it was originally to honor only the Union and       Confederate soldiers who were killed in the Civil War which is the bloodiest war America has been through. These activities were said to have originated in many different cities, but Waterloo, New York, was declared the official birthplace of Memorial Day on May 5, 1866. In 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Holiday Act ensuring that this holiday would be celebrated on the last Monday of May annually. Due to the Uniform Holiday Act, Memorial Day will fall on May 28, 2018. Then, Memorial Day was officially deemed a federal holiday in 1971 by having all non-essential government offices, schools, and most businesses to be closed.

Some typical traditions people participate in on Memorial Day are visiting the cemeteries and graves of fallen soldiers in their community. Thousands of people will even travel to Arlington National Cemetery, in Washington, D.C., where there is a short ceremony of remembrance for soldiers and veterans who have died. Then an American flag is placed at each grave, a speech is made by the President or Vice President who will then lay a wreath at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. In many cities, there are parades throughout the day which incorporate many military veterans. One major Memorial Day event just outside of Raleigh in Fuquay-Varina is the Freedom of Balloon Festival. This fun, family friendly festival is free to the public. The purpose is to watch dozens of hot air balloons fill the sky in remembrance of our current military members and veterans. There is also live music, food, and arts and crafts at this fun event which runs from May 25-28. The Confederate soldier statue located outside the North Carolina State Capitol Building commemorates all of the North Carolina Confederate Army soldiers who died during the Civil War.

Although for many Americans Memorial Day is just a three day weekend, for some people this day of remembrance means so much more. This day is especially meaningful to sophomore Henry Allan who said, “As the son of a service member, Memorial Day is important. It is a chance to reflect on what so many families have sacrificed for the betterment of the country, as well as a time to be grateful for the fact that we have not had to make the sacrifice of losing a loved one. Even though Memorial Day can get lost in cookouts and parties, it is important to appreciate and respect the men and women that sacrificed their lives for the country.” Due to the countless sacrifices of our service members, we are all blessed to live in a free country and we should remember this Memorial Day to not take that for granted.

Jillian Brookshire, Staff Reporter

Hi! My name is Jillian and I am a sophomore this year. I am so excited to begin my journey on the Newspaper Staff as I have a true passion for writing....