YouTuber Shane Dawson Causes Controversy

Flickr

Smiling, Shane takes a photo with a fan at Vidcon in 2014. This is all before Shane became more popular and began filming his videos about other YouTubers.

Daphne Bargeman, Staff Reporter

Shane Dawson has been in entertainment for quite a while now and currently has one of the most popular channels on YouTube. He has an impressive following of just over 18 million and is notorious for his vast knowledge of conspiracies, alongside a sequence of comedy skits and video blogs. Recently, Dawson has taken a jab at his own version of entertainment and is possibly reinventing YouTube standards.

Watchers noticed Dawson had begun making videos focused on the lives of other notable entertainers. Mukbanger Trisha Paytas, blind beauty blogger Molly Burke, and ghost enthusiast Rachel “Bunny” Meyer all fell victim to Shane’s daffy shenanigans, but each project still managed to take a humbling turn.

It is a common theme—Shane sits down with a YouTuber and fans see a hidden, vulnerable side of their favorite creator. Viewers often forget about the everyday tribulations of those in the limelight, but Shane’s videos have been a meek reminder.

“The Truth About Tanacon,” a production based on internet personality Tana Mongeau, was one of the first turning points in Shane’s career. Mongeau left fans disappointed and sunburnt after failed convention “Tanacon” was hosted under the scorching sun of Anaheim, California. Dawson did an exemplary job of unbiasedly providing three sides to the story. Fans, Tana, and Michael Weist, president of event production company Good Times, all played a part in unraveling the truth of what unfolded at the convention in Shane’s three-part documentary.

Shane has also been commended for his accountability of sensitive topics not often portrayed in media. Mental illness, for instance, was acknowledged in a collection of videos about makeup icon Jeffree Star. The two discussed Jeffree’s experiences with depression and self-harm, stemming from his eventful background and issues with self-acceptance. In Shane’s most recent videos, which are perhaps his most anticipated and chastised to date, Jake Paul, internet superstar and former actor on hit television show Bizaardvark, is questioned about his alleged sociopathic tendencies. Jake appeared ready to spread his truth on recent scandals in the YouTube community, and some argue that Shane’s willingness to give social media stars like Jake a platform is dire. Jake Paul had been denounced due to allegations of abuse from ex-girlfriend Alissa Violet and using racial slurs against twins Emilio and Ivan Martinez. His brother, Logan Paul, is the culprit of filming a suicide victim in Japan’s Aokigahara forest, and Jake’s name has since been tied to the controversy.

Shane acts as more of a friend to his guests to create an open environment for both interviewees and viewers. In the Paul series, Shane stated that he was not to play the nice guy and confront Jake for his behavior. He somewhat kept to his word, addressing Jake’s exploitation of child viewers and capitalizing on toxic subjects. They talked about past accusations of discrimination, and some are upset about Shane being too lenient with Jake. He had done it before, working with Tana Mongeau and Jeffree Star, who are both guilty of using racial slurs. Shane himself has been called out for his use of derogatory jokes early in his career. He seemed to justify Jake’s insensitive behavior with his homelife, which enraged viewers. “I’m not going to sit and let Shane make me feel bad for a guy like Jake,” sophomore Isavel Wrobel said when asked why she had not watched the series.

Although Shane’s only evident goal is to search for an authentic truth, viewers seem focused on if he is being “too forgiving.” Everyone makes mistakes, but is there a line? Should celebrities be stripped of their platforms after crossing this line?