Looking back at the crazy NBA offseason

Wikimediacommons.com

Dribbling down the court, Lebron James plays in his final season with the Cavs. This offseason James and many other big names switched to different teams in hopes of winning the NBA Championship.

Robbie Cicciari, Co Editor-in-Chief

The NBA season has just gotten under way, and this year is one to look forward to! At the conclusion of every year, players change teams, sign extensions, request trades, etc., but this season was definitely one of the craziest to date.

For starters, one of the biggest names in sports and arguably the best to ever play the game, Lebron James left the Cleveland Cavaliers for the second time. This offseason he made the decision to join the Los Angeles Lakers on a four year $154 million dollar contract. His decision has made the Lakers a playoff contender again and made the team relevant for the first time in a couple years. Another big name player that switched teams this offseason was Demarcus Cousins. Cousins was a vital part of the New Orleans Pelicans last season until he tore his ACL just prior to the All-star game. He was an All-star selection last season and is considered one of the best centers in the league. He then made the decision to join the back-to-back NBA champions, the Golden State Warriors; and he did so on a veteran minimum contract, for one year at $5.3 million dollars. There were also a lot of other small acquisitions like Rajon Rondo signing to the Lakers, Dwyane Wade re-signing to the Heat, as well as Karl-Anthony Towns re-signing to the Timberwolves.

Similar to every other offseason, the NBA Draft also took place. This is where teams look to build for the future. This year’s draft featured the likes of Deandre Ayton, Luka Doncic, and Marvin Bagley. These players went 1, 2, and 3 respectively in the draft, but it was not that easy as there was some draft night drama. The Dallas Mavericks traded up to number 3 in order to select Doncic, and the Atlanta Hawks went down to number 7, where they were able to take shooting phenom Trae Young. This year’s draft was really promising and the rookies will look to make immediate impacts.

At the beginning of every year, there are favorites to win the the NBA Finals. This year, like the previous four, the Golden State Warriors are the favorites out of the West. As previously mentioned, they are reigning back-to-back champs and added the best center in the league to their team this summer. They will be led by Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant who are both hungry as they will try to win their third straight ring. Out of the East the new favorites are the Boston Celtics. Since “The King” left Cleveland, the Cavaliers have be severely downgraded which has now built the path for the Celtics to become the favorites. They will be led by Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum, and a healthy Gordon Hayward. The team’s starting five is rounded out by Jaylen Brown and Al Horford, which makes for a deadly team. So do not be surprised if you see these two teams meet in the finals. Sophomore Aidan Green added, “The Warriors probably, but maybe the Celtics.”

With all of these offseason acquisitions, this NBA season is sure to be one for the books. These two teams are the clear top dogs.You never know what will happen, and that is just the beauty of the game.