Martin Luther: A knock that changed the world

This iconic image of Martin Luther was painted in the year 1529 by the great artist Lucas Cranach the Elder. This was painted only twelve years after Martin Luther’s creation of the Ninety-five Theses and spawn of Protestantism.

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

Jonah Manuel, Staff Reporter

A disturbance in the church, a loud beating at the doors- Martin Luther has left his mark. Over five-hundred years ago today, the Ninety-five Theses were created to critique the Catholic Church and their immoral acts. To fill the petty purses of the problematic priests, they sought to sell the grace of God.

A man set on the ideals of law shaken by a violent thunderstorm set on the path of righteousness: this is the story of Martin Luther and his iconic act of creating the Ninety-five Theses. Martin Luther was born November 10, 1483, in Eisleben, Germany, but soon after his birth, his family moved to a small town called Mansfield. Martin was educated from a young age, and by the year 1507 he had earned his Master’s Degree. He was in pursuit of a career in law but, much to his father’s displeasure, he had a life changing career-switch and dedicated his life to the word of God. Martin became a master at this craft and worked hard to become a great member of the Church.

However, in the year 1517, the Catholic Church made a grave mistake that Martin would not stand for. The creation of Indulgences a letter by the church to save you or a loved one from their sins but, for a price, of course. Martin Luther could not stand by and watch this; he had to take action, so he did. On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther nailed his famous Ninety-five Theses on the door of the Catholic Church for all to see.

This caused a major rift in the Christian religion that we can still see today, for this was the start of Protestantism.  Quinn Mckay, a senior at Millbrook and history fanatic said, “The Ninety-five Theses was the most impactful time that the Roman Catholic Church was questioned. It pushed forward what others had thought in the past and stated the critiques that created Protestantism.” The Ninety-five Theses truly changed the path of Christianity for the years to come. This is why October 31, 1517, will always be remembered as the day the Catholic Church met its match!

Jonah Manuel, Staff Reporter

Greetings and salutations. I am Jonah Manuel of the Cat Talk newspaper staff. I am here to express the ideas of the lost past and bring light to the truth....