Living Fit: All about essential oils

Living Fit: All about essential oils

Offering a vast range of benefits, these essential oils, including lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, and tea tree oil, are a great starter set to use with a diffuser. Essential oils have been proven to help your skin, immune system, focus, mood, and more.

S. Smith

S. Smith

S. Smith

Sydney Smith, News Editor

Ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle believed that matter is only composed of four elements: earth, water, air, and fire. The fifth element is quintessence, which he merely considered a life force. From this idea stems the basis of essential oils. A contraction of the original term “quintessential oil,” essential oils are physically isolated oils made of complex chemical mixtures. Over ninety essential oils exist, and each of them has specific benefits to your health, like improving your mood, focus, or immune system. They can be utilized most often by using a diffuser to emit the oils into the air. Grand View Research, Inc., estimates that the essential oil market will reach a whopping $11.67 billion by 2022. An increasing amount of people are becoming essential oil customers and discovering the many advantages they offer users.

The health benefits of essential oils are extensive and wide-ranging. “I haven’t personally bought any essential oils, but my sister has a ton of them. She’s told me that certain ones help you relax and others are healing,” said freshman Cyril Rodts. Users claim that the aromatherapy provides a positive atmosphere and uplifts their mood. There are various types of essential oils, each offering different advantages. One of the most popular kinds of essential oils is peppermint, which is awakening and invigorating. Lemon oil is known to make users happier; scientists in Japan found that people who used aromatherapy with lemon essential oil were able to take less antidepressants. Jojoba oil is most often used for curing acne and improving skin appearance. Additionally, lavender oil is perfect for better sleep, and eucalyptus oil is great for the immune system. Several brands make bottles with a combination of essential oils in one mixture. Generally, essential oils are a healthier alternative to candles, as many candles release harmful toxins into the air.

Essential oils are the perfect addition to a hot bath filled with epsom salt to create a soothing atmosphere with aromatherapy. The most prevalent method of using essential oils is by diffusers, which heat the oils until they evaporate into the air. Essential oil diffusers typically cost between $30 and $100, depending on the quality. Oils are priced anywhere from $10 to $20. Oils can be purchased at a variety of stores, including The Vitamin Shoppe, Complete Essential Oils, Target, Walmart, and most grocery and drug stores.

By keeping a few of your favorite essential oils on hand, you can enjoy aromatherapy without inhaling the toxins found in candles. There are countless kinds of oils with various properties that give them physical, emotional, and mental healing abilities. Essential oils are a therapeutic way to create a natural air freshener with innumerable positive qualities.

Sydney Smith, News Editor

Hey, I'm Sydney! I'm a junior here at Millbrook, and this is my second year on the Cat Talk staff. Aside from newspaper, I'm committed to volunteer work...