Are high school relationships worth it?

Liz Mosler

Despite cheer and other extracurriculars, Josie Mosler and Collin Sykes find time for each other, all while balancing schoolwork. They have earned the “cute couple” status and are determined to cherish the three years they have left together at Millbrook!

Jenna Griffin, Staff Reporter

Dating is a sensitive topic for every age group, especially high school students. The majority of teens in today’s world are open to dating, but after high school, dating gains seriousness. The excitement of a new relationship to a teenager is second to none, but in most cases, ends in heartbreak. There is always rare cases of couples destined to live the perfect life together. Is the chance of a once-in-a-lifetime romance in high school worth it? Or are you better off avoiding them?

The minds of high school students are not fully developed; therefore, most teens cannot be certain of whether a relationship is enduring or detrimental. Romanticizing a relationship when you have so much going on around you is likely too much to handle, yet many teens take it on anyway. The majority of the time, high school relationships do not last, as only two percent of new marriages in North America are comprised of “high school sweethearts.” Despite statistics, there is always the romantic way of looking at it: it is not entirely insane to have hopes that the person you will spend the rest of your life with could very well be sitting next to you in pre-calculus. Some may argue that these teenage flings have a shot in the real world, no matter how slim the chances.

Lots of people tend to stress the negatives when it comes to dating in high school. To name the obvious, breakups are messy, and no one wants to deal with that during such a life-altering time. Anyone who goes through a harsh breakup in high school is by far more prone to to emotional stress than an older, more mature person. Any sort of breakup, whether it is a platonic friend or romantic relationship, will likely cause trust issues that in some cases haunt a teen into adulthood.

Although romance can always end harshly, there are many reasons to admire high school sweethearts. Think of high school as a training ground. Teens who experience a variety of relationships in high school will be more prepared for college and adulthood. Through dating, teens are able to see an ocean of identities, discovering what may or may not work. Sophomore Cian Goulding said, “Having one person you dedicate lots of your time to in high school can be stressful, but the support and friendship you gain makes it all worth it. It is nice to have someone that goes through everything with you.” Growing up is all about “Who am I?” and “Who do I want to be?” Spending time with another person can reveal a lot about yourself. Although the path to self-discovery might be rough, dating may help to push past the roadblocks.

Would you want to spend your teen years hung up on one person, or would you rather save the heartache and strife for later when you do not have extracurriculars on your plate? High school is a time for testing the waters, when you do not have any real responsibilities to handle, and you have all the time in the world. Despite conflicting opinions on high school dating, you may be able to have a successful relationship through dedication and balance. Some may decide to date, while others prefer to save the potential drama for later!