Increasing amount of hate atrocities

Increasing amount of hate atrocities

Gathering to help denounce hate speech and hate crimes towards Muslims, people from all backgrounds stand together and protest. Hate crimes against religion take up twenty percent of all these crimes.

flickr.com

flickr.com

flickr.com

Abby Van Kula, Staff Reporter

During this holiday season, it may be hard to think about how hate crimes are on the rise. A hate crime is a criminal offense that is motivated by a personal opinion and directed at others because of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religion, or disability. From 2016 to 2017, hate crimes increased by seventeen percent. Examples of hate offenses include intimidation, simple assault, aggravated assault, robbery, destruction of property, and even murder.

You have probably heard of at least a couple of cases in just the past months. One example, which occurred this past Halloween, was the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh. This shooting resulted in eleven victims dead, two were critically injured, and nine others managed to escape unharmed. They were all killed because one man did not agree with their religious beliefs.

Most cases are racially motivated; these make up around sixty percent of total hate crimes, while religion makes up about twenty percent. According to the statistics released by the FBI for hate crimes in 2017, there have been around 7,106 reported single-bias incidents, which includes around 8,500 victims. These offenses are also becoming more violent than in years past. In 2004, hate crimes were seventy-eight percent violent, but in 2011 and 2012 hate crimes were around ninety percent violent. This is too high of a number. Sophomore Zoe Werner agreed: “The steady increasing rate of hate crimes in our country is a serious issue that needs to be stopped immediately. Why is there not more work put in to stop the unnecessary death toll that continues rising? This is not a debatable issue; hate crimes must stop.”

You might not always be able to stop these horrendous acts of hate, but there are a few ways that you could help prevent them. One thing that anyone can do is call someone out; if you see someone being discriminated against, say something to the hater. Support the victims. Hate crimes can make people frightened and vulnerable; by backing them up they feel like they have an ally. If you are a victim or witness of any type of hate crime, report it. Hate crimes have led to people not being to feel safe in their community. They live in fear of not knowing whether they are going to be the next victim of a hate crime.

Abby Van Kula, Staff Reporter

Hello, I'm Abby! I'm a sophomore here at Millbrook, and this is my first year on the newspaper staff. I love listening to music! Currently, my favorites...