Bringing it back to where it all began

2019 NHL Winter Classic

Bringing it back to where it all began

Home to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team, the 2019 NHL Winter Classic will be played in this notorious stadium. This will be the tenth edition of the the Winter Classic, and it will be played between the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins.

Flickr.com

Flickr.com

Flickr.com

Robbie Cicciari, Co Editor-in-Chief

Every year since 2008, the NHL has held one outside game a year; this game is called the Winter Classic. It is an annual game that is meant to bring players back to their childhood and playing on rinks outdoors. This year’s game is a battle between two Original Six teams; the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins.

The Blackhawks will be playing in their fourth Winter Classic, and the Bruins will be in their third. The game will be on January 1,  2019 at 1pm, and you can catch it on NBCSN. The venue will be Notre Dame Stadium, home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team. With this special venue also comes special uniforms for both teams involved. The Blackhawks and Bruins both unveiled specialty jerseys that will be worn for this game only. The Bruins went old school with their jerseys, replicating the jerseys that they wore in the 1960’s. They are basic white jerseys with a black and yellow outline and a plain ‘B’ on the front. However, the Blackhawks took a different approach with their jersey. They are debuting an all black jersey with white pinstripes along the bottom, a style they have never come close to wearing before. The only familiar thing on the jersey is a symbol that they last wore in 1935. Senior Jack Mitchell said, “As a Blackhawks fan, I may be a little bias, but I love their jerseys. They’re so clean and sleek and way better than the Bruins jersey.”

Over the past ten years these teams have installed a very hefty rivalry as they have both been consistent powerhouses in the league. This rivalry reached a peak during the 2013 season when the teams met in the Stanley Cup Finals, and the Blackhawks came out on top. The two teams still hate each other six years later; but, key players like Patrick Kane, Zdeno Chara, and Jonathan Towes are still playing for their respective teams. It should be a thrilling game, and playing it outside will just add to the excitement. Make sure to tune in and watch the game; it is one one the best ways to start the New Year.

Robbie Cicciari, Co Editor-in-Chief

Hi, I'm Robbie Cicciari, and I am a third year member of the newspaper staff! I'm 17 years old and a senior here at Millbrook. I write sports articles...