Listening to music has its benefits

Studying for a chemistry quiz, Camila Villarroel Gomez listens to some of her favorite songs. Non-lyrical music can help you focus on your task without having your mind wander.

A. Van Kula

Abby Van Kula, Staff Reporter

People all over the world listen to music. People from different cultures, ethnicities, religions and countries can bond with each other solely by music. It allows you to communicate, express your feelings and can affect and alter your feelings or mood. Music can also improve both your mental and physical state by reducing stress and anxiety, enhancing cognitive abilities, and improving your mood. Sophomore Matt Rapp stated, “Music is a form of meditation that helps the mind and heals the soul.”

Music can reduce one’s anxiety by making them feel relaxed. When your body feels anxious, you will feel tense. When you listen to music, your body will start to calm down and feel more at ease. It is also a great coping method for stress when you are listening your mind focuses on the music instead of whatever is stressing you out.

Music is also found to improve cognitive skills and help you focus and study better. It is known to activate both your left and right brain at the same time which can improve memory and maximize learning. For learning, classical music is the ideal type to listen to because there are no words to distract you from studying or focusing. These soothing sounds also seem to increase  productivity. In one study, thirty-six students were asked to complete a task using three variables which included ten minutes of silence, ten minutes of a tape about relaxation instructions, and ten minutes of Mozart. The students who listened to ten minutes of Mozart while completing this activity did better at tasks where they had to use their mind to create a shape.

A great way to better your mood is listening to music. It can help your overall well being, create happiness and helps regulate your mood in your everyday life. Imagine listening to happy, cheerful, and inspirational music; it would most likely cause you to be in a better mood. However, listening to sad and slow music can also alter your mood by causing you to be in a bad mood. Listening to certain songs might make you remember certain events or memories associated with that song.

In conclusion, music has some amazing side-effects, and by listening to it, you can improve little things found in your everyday life, including your mood, feelings, and your thinking. As singer/songwriter Elton John said,“Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours”.