In state vs. out of state college

C. Escobar

2018 Millbrook graduate Bria Bryant chose to stay in state and attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill because it was always her dream school while growing up in Raleigh. Read up to see the pros and cons of going to college in or out of state!

Grayson McClendon, Sports Editor

With college acceptance letters coming out, the question on whether to go to college in the state you currently live in, or to go out of state, is revolving through many seniors’ minds. Even if you are not a senior, this may be something you will need to consider in the next couple of years.

Going to college in state is obviously a very predictable choice, as it can be much cheaper than going somewhere out of state. For North Carolina specifically, the number of choices is overwhelming! NC is home to schools in the mountains, as well as the beach, from community colleges, all the way to private schools. Besides the price and the variety, going to school in state allows to you visit home easily. For example, the distance from Millbrook to NC State University is only 20 minutes. This way, coming home to see your parents, do your laundry, or go to your little sister’s birthday party is not only an easy trip, but a cheap one too. “I would want to go to an in state college just because it is closer to my family,” said freshman Haley Franklin.

In contrast to that, going to college outside of your state brings along many opportunities that you may not be able to experience where you currently live. One reason for this is the people. Schools that are several hours away from your home allow you to meet so many more people and allow you to branch out to different groups. Going out of state, you have a chance to start over per say, perhaps you wish to escape the image you obtained during high school in your home town. Another reason is that you get to experience a brand new environment: trying new restaurants, going to different social events, even wearing different clothes.

Although there are many enticing things to keep you in the state, there are also many cons to this. One of these is that you may be too close to home. College is a great way to find yourself and what you want to do in life, and staying local may limit you from trying new things. To accompany this, staying in state for the reasons above may not suit you and your major. Choosing colleges is not all about location, but the college you choose should be the one that will offer you the best classes to take and the best major to enroll in for your future plans.

Going out of state can also carry many problems. For one, traveling back home for the holidays is not just a drive down the highway; it could mean plane rides or train rides, which are not the cheapest. It also poses the challenge of figuring out a new city, while not knowing many people to help you out. If you need anything from your home, it can not be fixed by a quick trip back, but you will have to figure out what you need, where you need to go to get it, and how you are going to get there.

College acceptance letters have been coming out for a couple months now. It is supposed to be the best four years of your life, so try not to take decision making lightly, and use these pros and cons to help you make the best decision.