Does the Netflix series You actually live up to the hype?

As a seemingly nice guy, it is no wonder that Penn Badgley has persuaded his fans to fall for his charming character, Joe. Can he do the same with Beck?  Or will she catch on to him before her own life is in his fingertips?

twitter.com

As a seemingly nice guy, it is no wonder that Penn Badgley has persuaded his fans to fall for his charming character, Joe. Can he do the same with Beck? Or will she catch on to him before her own life is in his fingertips?

Jenna Griffin, Staff Reporter

Netflix never fails to take a basic storyline and turn it into a hit movie or TV series, attracting many more fans than it would all alone. You is a Lifetime series that perfectly combines the two genres Lifetime does best, romance and crime. Sadly for them, the show failed to attract an audience. Netflix decided to step in and launch the show as a Netflix original, giving the show a well-earned spot on the “Trending now” list. With so much talk about You, it is understandable that the show leaves a handful of watchers wondering, what is so great about a crazy stalker convincing himself that his victim is in love with him and then starting a relationship with her? Although it is intriguing, is the intense, kind of unrealistic drama worth watching?

You takes a creative look at the standard plot of a woman meeting a charming guy, only to find out the guy is a monster. You tells the story from the viewpoint of Joe, played by Penn Badgley, the stalker boyfriend, as he develops his obsession over Beck, the girl who has caught his eye. Joe’s life revolves around Beck although she does not know it. The audience sees Joe’s obsession growing, turning into violence, far before Beck does. At times in the show, it is almost hard to decide whether you like Joe or not. He is so charming yet so possessive and murderous. In attempts to get Beck to fall in love with him, Joe begins to eliminate everything and everyone standing in the way of their future together. He does not perceive himself as a murderer, simply as a guy who will do anything for the girl he loves. As season one wraps up, Beck discovers all that Joe has done, and of his past girlfriend, Candice, who endured a similar experience due to Joe.

It is obvious Joe will stop at nothing to win over Beck, giving the show an even higher level of depth compared to some other psychological thrillers viewed on Netflix. Even with all the twists and turns the show has to offer, it is hard to ignore the occasionally awkward dialogue that resulted from Joe’s intelligence, mixed with the modern ways of flirting. With Joe constantly envisioning himself as the perfect boyfriend, the show is a great play on the self-proclaimed, “good guy.” Each episode has Joe building up his obsession more and more, and although many might say, “Just wait until the last episode!” you are sure to hear that another handful of people see the ending as really predictable. “For the whole season, I honestly liked Joe; it is hard not to,” said sophomore Hannah Foley. “But Beck was destined to find out what Joe had been hiding all along. When she finally did, his last options were to either murder her or to lock her in his glass box forever. Joe, of course, knew deep down Beck would never love him as she did before now that she knows the truth.”

Both unsettling and intriguing, You has successfully left fans craving a season two. There is a good chance that many season one viewers will end up sticking around for season two. Whether you enjoyed the series or not, you cannot deny the endless plot twists that make it stand out. You’s take on the modern romance reeled in mixed reviews, so it is really up to the critics to decide if You lives up to the hype it receives.

Jenna Griffin, Staff Reporter

Howdy Cat Talk readers! My name is Jenna Griffin, and I am a sophomore this year! I couldn't be more excited to write for the Cat Talk. I'm a motivated...