AP vs IB

A guide to which decision is right for you

Anticipating+an+upcoming+test+in+her+AP+Psychology+class%2C+senior+Riley+Yates+creates+a+study+guide+to+help+herself+prepare.+Students+planning+to+take+IB+or+AP+courses+should+be+aware+that+their+workload+and+study+time+will++drastically+increase+in+the+coming+school+year.+

AP vs IB

Anticipating an upcoming test in her AP Psychology class, senior Riley Yates creates a study guide to help herself prepare. Students planning to take IB or AP courses should be aware that their workload and study time will  drastically increase in the coming school year.

Anticipating an upcoming test in her AP Psychology class, senior Riley Yates creates a study guide to help herself prepare. Students planning to take IB or AP courses should be aware that their workload and study time will drastically increase in the coming school year.

E.Stiller

E.Stiller

E.Stiller

Maggie Cargile, Staff Reporter

With the IB Diploma Programme sign-up deadline fast approaching, many sophomores are struggling with making the decision of whether they would like to pursue the AP or IB path for the remainder of their time at Millbrook. Both programs definitely have their pros and cons, which can lead to a tough choice for rising juniors. While there is no right path to take, it is best for students to learn about all that Millbrook has to offer and explore all of their options to make the best choice for their future.

One of the key factors in deciding which classes to take is to consider what classes and subject matters you are most interested in. A conflicted student should also think about what classes they would be upset if they were unable to continue. Typically, IB only allows one or two free spaces in a student’s schedule, while AP gives students more flexibility with their schedules. You should also keep in mind your personal learning style. IB and AP may seem similar at a first glance, but AP is for the more fact-based learners, while IB focuses more on asking questions and digging deep into the subject matter. For example, a student who prefers to collaborate with others would probably thrive in the IB program. On the other hand, a student who prefers to learn at their own pace would most likely do better taking AP courses.

The decision for which path to take is a very personal decision and should not be influenced by what your peers are doing. Any student considering their options for the upcoming school year should look at their choices from all angles in order to make the decision that is best for them. Sophomore Daniela Wrobel said, “I was originally thinking I could never do IB and went into my sophomore year thinking I would take mostly AP courses next year. However, after attending an IB session meeting and seeing what the program was really all about, I decided that maybe IB was right for me after all.”

While both programs have their advantages and disadvantages, one option is not officially better than the other. Different people respond better to different things, and what works for one student, may not work for another. When making your final decision, you should consider your personal learning style and what type of methods work best for you. It is important to make the decision solely off of what program you think will be the most beneficial for you and not off of what may be beneficial to someone else. You should also keep in mind both choices are good for  college admissions, as long as you excel in the courses you end up taking. This means that no matter which path you decide to take, you must be ready to work hard and make a commitment to your studies. Regardless, the decision you end up making should be the right decision for you and your remaining years at Millbrook.

Maggie Cargile, Staff Reporter

Hey y'all! I'm Maggie Cargile, and I am so excited to be a part of the Cat Talk this year! I'm a sophomore here at Millbrook and currently serve as Sophomore...