Measles outbreak: CDC confirms over 100 cases in 10 states

Relying+heavily+on+their+parents%2C+this+baby+suffers+from+the+measles+virus+along+with+many+others+across+the+United+States+today.+In+order+to+make+sure+you+are+safe+from+this+disease%2C+update+your+vaccinations+as+they+are+important+to+you+along+with+the+ones+you+are+closest+to.+

Relying heavily on their parents, this baby suffers from the measles virus along with many others across the United States today. In order to make sure you are safe from this disease, update your vaccinations as they are important to you along with the ones you are closest to.

flickr.com

flickr.com

flickr.com

Taylor Jones, Entertainment Editor

The measles virus is extremely harmful to young children but is easily preventable by vaccination. However, the recent measles outbreak across the United States has health officials arguing that there needs to be new and updated immunization laws. Recently, the CDC confirmed 101 cases of this infectious disease across 10 states, including California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, Oregon, New York, Washington state, and Texas. The epicenter of this outbreak traces back to Clark County, Washington, with 54 cases last month. Clark County, WA, coincidentally has the lowest vaccination rates, with around a quarter of their kindergartners not immunized. The CDC claims that most of these infected patients were more vulnerable to this infection because they were not vaccinated, therefore further validating health official’s argument about the value of vaccines. In some cases, hospitals are arming their entrances with security guards to detect, if any, symptoms of the virus before patients enter. State lawmakers are considering a bill that does not allow parents to refuse vaccinations for their children based on their personal reasons because of the horrifying effect it could have on an entire population. Health officials are now scrambling to once again eradicate a disease that was nearly annihilated almost two decades ago. Hopefully, with the help of stronger and more effective immunization laws, the U.S. can eradicate this disease along with many others in the future.

Taylor Jones, Entertainment Editor

Hey y'all! My name is Taylor, and I am junior. This is my second year on the Cat Talk staff. I am the Student Body Secretary at Millbrook this year, and...