Millbrook sophomore makes Varsity baseball

Swinging with full force, Alec DeMartino gives his all out on the field during this fierce game. Having proper technique and maintaining focus are some of his keys to success.

Provided by A.DeMartino

Provided by A.DeMartino

Provided by A.DeMartino

Justine Hooker, Staff Reporter

It is uncommon to have an underclassman on a varsity team, but Alec DeMartino with his strong talent has beaten the odds. For the 2018-2019 season of varsity baseball, the team will feature only one underclassman. This spring, sophomore Alec DeMartino will be representing the Class of 2021, playing center field on the varsity roster under Coach James. Due to his advanced skills and technique, was among the newest recruits.

Last week, DeMartino had to wear some pretty interesting costumes, highlighting both the positive and negatives of making a varsity sport as an underclassman. From a Teletubbies costume to 80’s workout clothes, he got a feel of what it was like to be a part of the new team. This is a tradition started by the upperclassmen. While playing such a competitive sport, DeMartino has risen to the occasion and has taken his new position with stride. He feels honored and proud of his achievements thus far. He explains that there has been a significant difference being on the varsity team compared to the JV team. During his first game, tensions were high as he was encouraged to play to his full potential. Being on this new team has provided him the challenge he wants to achieve his future goals.

DeMartino started baseball at the age of six and now claims that “its become the biggest part of my life for the past 11 years.” He has hopes of playing college baseball and believes being on the varsity team will be a great way to show scouts and colleges that he has exceptional potential. He is excited for his endeavors that he will pursue. Throughout his baseball career, the game has always been a focal point, but so has school. DeMartino stated, “I always put school before baseball, but the way I balance it with baseball is that I always make sure that there isn’t any homework I have to do before I go and hit everyday. That way, I do not have to worry about it and can focus 100% on getting better at baseball.” Being able to manage playing a varsity sport and school is an example of a dedicated student.

It is clear that Alec DeMartino is determined to accomplish his goals and continue to be a better player. His love of the game has shaped him into a well-rounded player. Come out to the home Varsity game today at 4:30 verses Wakefield to see him play!

Justine Hooker, Staff Reporter

Hey y'all! I'm Justine, and I am so excited to be a part of the Cat Talk! I am a sophomore, and this is my first year on staff. At school, I am a part...