FBI charges celebrities in college admissions schemes

Demonstrating its architectural beauty, the Yale Law School building sits pretty on the Yale University campus. Yale is among several of the colleges that wealthy parents paid off for their kid's advantage in acceptance and higher entrance scores.

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

Taylor Jones, Entertainment Editor

On Tuesday, March 12, the FBI charged dozens of wealthy parents and celebrities on cheating and bribery schemes to get their children in the U.S’s most elite universities. The scheme has lasted over seven years and involved these families paying off college administrators and coaches $25 million payments. They also were accused of paying off college entrance exam administrators to allow their children to cheat on the tests to improve their scores.

Well-known role model celebrities like Lori Loughlin of Full House and Felicity Huffman of Desperate Housewives are among the numerous charged. The scheming took place so that the involved students could attend schools like Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, University of Texas, the University of Southern California, and many others.

Along with these celebrities and wealthy parents, college coaches were also charged with scheming. For example, coaches at Wake Forest, Georgetown, USC, UCLA, etc are now facing racketeering charges; racketeering is the act of offering dishonest services to a problem that would otherwise not exist.

All of the scheming and payoffs went through a business called The Key, based in Newport Beach, California. This business was known for test prep but also had a dangerous side as they aided many families in unfair acceptances into colleges, that would later explode for the worse. The Key bribed colleges administrators and coaches and organized the entire scheme as they helped students cheat on college entrance exams, like the ACT and SAT, tests that many students who were not loaded with money, stressed over for their future.

Many are surprised that their most loved stars are stuck in such a mad scandal, but many wonder how they will get out of it, and how it will affect their family and their reputations for years to come. How do you feel about sweet Aunt Becky committing such a shocking act to get a further advantage?  

Taylor Jones, Entertainment Editor

Hey y'all! My name is Taylor, and I am junior. This is my second year on the Cat Talk staff. I am the Student Body Secretary at Millbrook this year, and...