Trump’s proposed budget for 2020

Trump’s proposed budget for 2020

President Trump promised to leave Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security untouched during his campaign in 2015. However, in his budget for the 2020 fiscal year, massive cuts are proposed against these programs.

commons.wikipedia.org

commons.wikipedia.org

commons.wikipedia.org

Izzi Graham, Staff Reporter

The President’s proposed budget plan for the 2020 fiscal year was delivered to Congress on Monday, March 11.  Trump’s budget amounted to 4.75 trillion dollars, the largest in federal history. His plan featured a nearly five percent increase in military spending, as well as an additional 8.6 billion dollars to fund a wall along the border of Mexico.

President Trump proposed a 7.1 billion dollar funding cut to the Education Department, representing a twelve percent decrease from last year’s budget plan. If the budget plan were to be enacted, the cuts would result in a 207 billion dollar reduction in the federal student loan programs over the next ten years, eliminating subsidized student debt and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. Both programs provide financial aid to students in higher education, many of whom are experiencing economic hardship. The budget proposal also abolishes twenty-nine programs, including after-school programs for low-income students.

The proposed budget cuts target science and environmental efforts. Funding for the Environmental Protection Agency is reduced by a massive 31.2 percent. The Department of Energy would experience a 10.8 percent loss, and its Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Office would lose seventy percent of its current budget. The National Science Foundation, the top government funder of non-medical research, would face a nine percent loss.

The budget also proposes a 26 billion dollar cut to Social Security programs, including a ten billion dollar cut for the Social Security Disability Insurance program. Medicare and Medicaid would lose 845 billion dollars and 1.5 trillion dollars, respectively, over the next ten years. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, would face a 220 billion dollar cut over the next decade. The budget plan calls for a nationwide work requirement for recipients of Medicaid, food stamps, and federal housing support. This would reduce spending on those programs by 327 billion dollars by disqualifying millions who currently receive assistance.  

Overall, President Trump’s budget supports funding for defense and border walls, while severely cutting other programs. There is a nine percent cut across non-defense programs, specifically targeting environmental and social programs for those in need. However, the entire defense budget would be increased by thirty-four percent to 750 billion dollars. The proposed budget is unlikely to become a reality, as Trump’s budget last year appeared quite similar, and Congress did not act on many of its recommendations. Now that Democrats have control of the House, the budget is much less likely to affect spending levels.