Essential travel tips for a smooth spring break

Flickr.com

Packed up and ready to go for a spring break getaway, it is important to remember to pack as light as possible, especially when flying. Although it is tempting to pack nearly everything in your closet, you will thank yourself later when you are not lugging around everything you own during your trip.

Maggie Cargile, Staff Reporter

With spring break just around the corner, many Millbrook students can not wait to take a break from school and head out on a vacation. While not everyone is taking a grand vacation this year, many students plan to travel somewhere over the course of our week off. No matter where you are going, it is always helpful to have a guide in place to ensure you do not overpack or underpack for your trip, stay safe when traveling, and make sure you make the most of your adventures.

One of the most important, yet lesser known, things to remember when you travel is to not overplan your trip. While it is good to stay busy and see everything there is to see, you should not plan out every last detail of your trip before you leave. Sophomore Sarah Morrow said, “You should always leave room for spontaneity when traveling because you never know what you’ll discover.” A wise traveler should also always keep an open mind when exploring new territory. You should try your best to be open to new foods, cultures, and experiences when abroad. Breaking out of your comfort zone and experiencing something new is part of the fun in traveling!

Many of us Wildcats absolutely despise packing and put it off until the last minute when preparing for a big trip. This action, of course, leads to us leaving many essentials behind and being distressed during your trip. An organized traveler should make a detailed packing list a few days prior to departure to make sure they are not leaving anything behind. It is also a good idea to go ahead and pre-plan all of the outfits you are going to wear on your trip so you do not run short on clothing. A good rule of thumb when flying is to put any valuables and important documents in your carry on bag in addition to essential toiletries, as well as an extra pair of clothes just in case your checked luggage is misplaced during flight.

No matter where you are traveling this spring break, safety should always be your number one priority. It is easy for an unsafe situation to present itself when traveling, especially if you are traveling abroad. Luckily, there are many easy ways to keep yourself and your belongings intact. Before you go anywhere, you should always notify someone at home of your plans for your trip; that way someone will know where you are supposed to be and will be able to quickly notify authorities if something is wrong. This is especially important if you are traveling alone. You should also always make sure to carry duplicates of any important documents with you, in case the original copies are lost or stolen. If you are traveling abroad, keep your passport with you at all times.

Preparing for a big trip may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but as long as you follow these tips, your adventures are certain to be a breeze. Remember that traveling is all about creating new memories and having fun. With tips such as these, every Wildcat is certain to have a safe and fun spring break vacation.