Successful Millbrook alum shares advice on life after graduation

Setting the bar for all future Millbrook graduates, alum Brad Wilson serves the community in more ways than one. After practicing law for 14 years and starting a family, Wilson went on to become President CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina.

B. Wilson

Mikayla Davis, co Editor-in-Chief

Brad Wilson was among the 1971 graduating class of Millbrook. He went on to attend undergrad at Appalachian State University, law school at Wake Forest University, and he completed the Masters of Marks program at Duke University.

Since his days at Millbrook, Brad Wilson has remained very involved in the community, describing high school as a very busy but rewarding time. Interestingly enough, the Class of ‘71 was the first class to complete all four years on the current campus, opposed to what is now Millbrook Elementary. Wilson was an All-Conference varsity football player and served as the Student Body President his senior year. He was also involved in numerous extracurriculars, including being a part of the Cat Talk staff!

During his senior year, Wilson was accepted to Duke, which he thought was his dream school, but he could not afford it. Instead, he ventured to Boone, NC where he attended Appalachian. His initial plan was to transfer after a year or so, but after a wonderful academic and social experience, he fell in love. Wilson went into college knowing he would pursue law school afterwards, so he emphasized that this time is all about preparation: “The key is that you optimize all that is available to you wherever it is that you go.”

After all, if Wilson had not made the practical choice to attend Appalachian, he would not have met his wife of 42 years, nor would he be a father to two children. His wife was a Sanderson graduate herself, though the two never crossed paths prior to their time in Boone.

After an amazing undergraduate experience, Wilson was eager to take the next step in his educational path. Upon finishing undergrad early, Wilson began his graduate work at App while he awaited graduation. Though his plan was was halted after being waitlisted to WFU Law school, Wilson was able to enroll at NC State where he would work toward his masters degree in History. However, as fate would have it, two days before classes began he received a call from Wake Law, informing him a spot had opened up in the class for him.

Wilson went on to be a practicing lawyer for 14 years in Lenoir, NC. Then, in 1992, he was asked by Governor Jim Hunt to join his administration as general counsel. This prompted him and his family to make move back to Raleigh. After three years under Gov. Hunt, Wilson joined Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina as general counsel. There, he was their top in-house lawyer, earning him a promotion to President CEO in early 2010. He retained this title for eight years, totaling a sum of 22 years spent at Blue Cross. Wilson admits that, as a law student, he had “no idea, thought, or interest of ever being CEO of any company.” However, the education he sought and the consequential experience he gained, attracted vast opportunities, some he may have never even considered. “Looking for and recognizing opportunities… is what you should remain focused on because you never know what might come your way.”

Wilson shared a quote native to Millbrook that resonated with him as a young man. Head football coach Bill Shirley included a quote at the top of the game prep packet for each week that read, “Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.” Wilson commented, “The more prepared you are, the greater the opportunities you will have and then with a little bit of coincidence, luck, and serendipity, opportunities may present themselves and then, because you are prepared, you are then able to seek that opportunity.”