Making the switch to environmentally conscious beauty products

Wikimediacommons.org

Awaiting use by environmentally conscious consumers, a variety of vegan cosmetics are shown. By using vegan and cruelty free products, makeup users can have piece of mind in knowing that there products have not been tested on animals and are environmentally safe.

Maggie Cargile, Staff Reporter

In this day and age, it is a rare sighting to see a Wildcat walking through the halls without some sort of cosmetic on their face. The variety of cosmetics used by students can range from simple, inexpensive items such as chapsticks or drugstore brand products, to more high-end makeup items such as mascaras and skincare products. While all of these items can easily be considered a necessity to many, major cosmetic companies do not always have our planet’s best interests at heart. Many commonly used cosmetics and beauty products contain toxic chemicals that are not only bad for our health, but also bad for the environment. Luckily, there are many healthier alternatives out there that benefit both our personal health and the health of our planet.

There are many brands that strive to make the earth a better place by providing eco-friendly products. Many of these brands can be found for a very low price from your local Walgreens, such as NYX. This company provides low-priced professional quality products that are not tested on animals and environmentally conscious. Another popular makeup line that provides environmentally safe products is Tarte, self-described as an eco-chic brand, the company aims to spread safe environmental practices through the use of trendy makeup products. Freshman Misty Houston said, “I do not usually wear makeup, but if I do, I always make sure it does not harm the environment. I think it is important to know what exactly goes into any cosmetic products you decide to use, in order to make sure it will not harm you or the environment.” Many companies not only make an effort to reduce the number of toxic materials in their products, but also try and donate at least a portion of their sales to charities that benefit the environment.

Thanks to the environmental awareness that is present in our society today, you will find that more and more companies are striving to create products that not only improve the quality of the environment, but also try to create products that benefit consumers. This is done by using natural ingredients to create a pure product without mixing in unsafe chemicals or any other potentially harmful substances. Many brands are beginning to push a “less is more” campaign encouraging consumers to let their inner beauty shine through and only use minimal levels of clean cosmetics.

With many major makeup producers cutting back on the number of chemicals and harmful toxins in their products, there are more environmentally safe cosmetics on the market today then there have been in years. While not every cosmetic we see today is guaranteed to be one hundred percent safe for the environment, more clean options are available. By using more natural products, it has also been shown to improve our personal health and well being. Knowing this, all Wildcats should strive to search for more clean and environmentally friendly cosmetics.