Join the health food trend bandwagon

+Posing+with+their+acai+bowls+at+Buoy+Bowls%2C+sophomores+Rachel+Secan%2C+Lauren+Harris%2C+Lauren+McShea+and+Mary+Carson+Buffalo+enjoy+the+art%2C+beauty+and+deliciousness+of+these+heart+healthy+bowls.+Acai+bowls+are+one+of+the+health+food+trends+because+the+acai+berries+are+so+good+for+you%2C+and+they+are+fun+to+create+when+you+customize+the+toppings.%0A

C.Cabaniss

Posing with their acai bowls at Buoy Bowls, sophomores Rachel Secan, Lauren Harris, Lauren McShea and Mary Carson Buffalo enjoy the art, beauty and deliciousness of these heart healthy bowls. Acai bowls are one of the health food trends because the acai berries are so good for you, and they are fun to create when you customize the toppings.

Justine Hooker, Staff Reporter

In recent years, there has been a spike of people taking back control of their health. It has been done by switching diets, exercising, or becoming more aware of mental health. This health kick that celebrities, everyday people, and restaurants have sprung on has resulted in the introduction of new highly nutritious foods. These foods have become popular recently and can be categorized as health food trends.

Health food trends include a wide range of different products, ingredients or processes that have positive benefits to your body that many have been trying. One trend still on the rise are acai bowls. Acai bowls are similar to smoothies. They are made the same way, in a blender with fruit and liquid like water or milk to make them creamy. Acai bowls have a thick consistency and are topped with different ingredients like fruit, nuts, granola, honey and seeds, but the star of the show is the superfood, acai. Acai berries are the main ingredients and have a plethora of benefits. They have antioxidants which fight off diseases, contain less sugar than most fruits, and are high in fiber. Acai bowls have become a trend because of their benefits, deliciousness, and their beautiful colors make them perfect for a Snapchat or Instagram story. You can pick up these delicious bowls for yourself at local places around Raleigh like Juicekeys at Lafayette Village, Buoy Bowls, Sola Coffee Café, and Happy + Hale near North Hills. Stay tuned for the next print edition of the Cat Talk for an easy acai bowl recipe to make at home.

The plant-based milk craze has caused lots of interest. Many people have switched over to plant-based milk and drink; almond milk is one popular alternative. People who are lactose intolerant drink this, but so do many vegans and people without dietary restrictions who like the taste and or the benefits more than dairy milk. There are various types of milk on the market, like almond, cashew, soy, oat, and many more. Sophomore Anna Scott Hunt has tried numerous variations of plant-based milks and said, “My sister told me about oat milk. I tried it and loved it! It tastes like the most regular milk to me, but it’s a better alternative. I have noticed that my skin is so much clearer since I started drinking less milk.” If you are not a fan of dairy milk or are interested in the benefits, try this different type of milk.

If there is one thing that people on their journey are obsessed with, it is avocados. This superfood fruit is in everything from smoothies, pizza, salad, burgers, pasta, and desserts like brownies. Avocados are loaded with healthy fats and help to keep skin clear. Their green color and nutritional value have had people hooked ever since. Another green food that has been on the rise is matcha. Matcha tea is most commonly found in Japan and is made from ground green tea leaves. Matcha can be made into lattes and added to pancakes or desserts. Matcha has been a fan favorite for its substitute for coffee. It has have many vitamins like A, B, and C, antioxidants and amino acids as well.

You do not have to try every health food trend out there, but just remember that these foods are trends for a reason. If you see those acai bowls posted all over everyone’s Instagram, you know you have got to join in and try one too!