The biggest night in Country Music is here

Posing for the red carpet cameras, the famous Reba McEntire attends yet another award show. This year she hosted the 54th Academy of Country Music Award show for her sixteenth time; she stated last night that she will never get tired of celebrating great music and amazing stars.

commons.wikimedia.org

Taylor Jones, Entertainment Editor

Live at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Reba McEntire hosted the 54th Academy of Country Music Awards on April 7. Country music legend Reba McEntire has now hosted the ACM Awards 16 times, naming last night her “Sweet 16.” To kick off the night, duo Dan + Shay’s number one hit “Tequila” won Song of the Year. Shortly after performances by Thomas Rhett, Miranda Lambert, and Luke Bryan, Dan + Shay were presented with their second academy award of the night, Single of the Year. The next award of the night was Duo of the Year, and guess what, Dan + Shay are three for three, as they end their performance with Kelly Clarkson by winning another one.

The next award of the night was Male Artist of the Year which was presented to country music star Thomas Rhett. Then later winning the ACM Album of the Year, with her new album Golden Hour was multiple-time Grammy winner Kasey Musgraves. Legendary country musician George Strait presented the first awarded Artist of the Decade Award after being named after Dick Clark to Jason Aldean. He has won multiple Male Artist and Entertainer of the Year awards over the years and will never let a crowd down with his music. Last night he opened the show with Florida Georgia Line and then sung a medley of some of his famous hits, and then was presented with the Dick Clark Artist of the Decade award.  

In her first national live television debut, This is Us star Chrissy Metz sung alongside the women in country music, Carrie Underwood, Lauren Alaina, Maddie & Tae, and Mickey Guyton, in a moving performance. Following that performance, George Strait sang with Miranda Lambert, and Kasey Musgraves won her second award of the night, Female Artist of the Year.

For the most prestigious award given out in country music and the most anticipated throughout the night, Entertainer of the Year was awarded to Keith Urban to close out the night. Other awards given out last night were Group of the Year won by Old Dominion and Video of the Year awarded to Chris Janson’s “Drunk Girl.”

Taylor Jones, Entertainment Editor

Hey y'all! My name is Taylor, and I am junior. This is my second year on the Cat Talk staff. I am the Student Body Secretary at Millbrook this year, and...