Reliving the Kentucky Derby

Reliving the Kentucky Derby

Racing towards the finish line, the 2014 Kentucky Derby participants competed with California Chrome coming out on top. The Derby began in 1872, and this year was definitely set apart from the rest!

Grayson McClendon, Sports and Social Media Editor

As many of you know, the Kentucky Derby is a nationwide horse race, and is competed by horses and riders from all over the world. Held at Churchill Downs, in Louisville, Kentucky, the derby is the longest running sport in history. In addition to this, the derby has rarely been controversial in regards to the winners, except for this year.

One week ago today, the derby took place. This year’s winner of the Kentucky Derby was the only one to have won because of an objection. Maximum Security was the horse that the majority of fans placed their bets on going into the race, which caused lots of debate on the news. Even though he was the horse that finished first, he was disqualified for interfering with the neighboring horse. This was because he slipped in a puddle leading him into the pathway of another racer. Even though it did not affect the winner of the race, the judges unanimously decided that Country House, the runner-up, deserved the win. Junior Nic Zanfardino said, “I think Maximum Security should have won; he didn’t do anything that should have disqualified him. It looked like a fair race.”

So what does this mean for future races? A popular opinion is that Maximum Security should have won the race; whether he interfered or not, that he came in first place. Maximum Security still does, in fact, have a chance to win the other two races, The Preakness Stakes on May 18 and The Belmont Stakes on June 8. These, along with the Kentucky Derby, contribute to the Triple Crown, and the award is given to the horse who wins all three. For the first time in 23 years, the winner of the Kentucky Derby will not be running in The Preakness. He developed a cough and withdrew from the race on last Tuesday. If Maximum Security wins the next two races, an uproar from followers is likely to occur.

Tune in to watch the rest of the races on May 18 and June 8, and leave a comment in your opinion! Who should have won: Maximum Security or Country House?