Spooky events in the Triangle

Logan Powers, Writer

This Halloween you do not need to sit at home alone and mope. There are many events in your area. You can be involved in your community and have some fun at your local events. Happening this Friday night from 5:30pm to 7:00pm at Lafayette Village in North Raleigh, Halloween in the Village is looking great. You can go out Trick or Treating with your friends to all the stores. Then at seven there is going to be a showing of the latest version of Hocus Pocus. Lafayette Village is a popular location for teens. According to sophomore Jocelyn Marshall, “It’s a really cool little village place, and I love Jubala coffee. I think it’ll be really fun on Halloween.” You can even enjoy the movie with free popcorn provided by the Traveling Screens! Admission is free, and it is looking to be a spooky night.

Halloween in the Village is not the only event happening this weekend. There are also some events happening downtown, like the Born Again Heathens happening at Tír na nÓg. At this Gaelic themed event, there is a Halloween costume contest and traditional Gaelic games throughout the evening. There are many live action music sets happening throughout the night as well. Speaking of music, you cannot miss the Halloween at Hogwarts: The Music of Harry Potter played by the North Carolina Symphony. This event is being held in the Meymandi Concert Hall at Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts downtown. The admission costs twenty five dollars, but it is worth it if you are a Harry Potter fan. The North Carolina Symphony is going to be playing selections from the Harry Potter movies, but be sure to arrive early for pre-concert activities including the popular NC Symphony Instrument Zoo. The North Carolina Symphony is highly remarked as one of the best around. Junior Laurel Buffaloe said, “I love Harry Potter and I’m so excited that the NC Symphony is performance it!”

For those of you who like to build things, there is an event for you too. The Scarecrow Festival is happening on Halloween at the Pullen Arts Center. Starting on Halloween morning at 11, your can use you imagination to build a scarecrow that is all your own. The admission is free, and the activities are great. You can build a scarecrow which will be displayed as long as the weather permits it. The scarecrow space is limited, so register early by calling the front desk at (919)996-6126. The events will be on in the rain or shine.

Later that day at the North Carolina Railroad Museum and New Hope Valley Railway in Apex, there will be a spooktacular ride on a real train departing from the Bonsal Depot. Tickets are  thirteen dollars each, and each train ride will last an hour. Throughout the train ride, you will see witches as they swoosh by the window and steaming cauldrons. No matter what, after the amazing train ride, you have to stay for the Halloween activities in the Haunted Rail Yard. This will include meeting a twenty foot cat upon entry. No matter what you choose to do this Halloween, be sure to go out and have fun with your friends or family. Holidays are a time to have fun and take a break from your everyday life. Have a scary Halloween!