Creative Cats: Ryan Gibson

R. Gibson

Performing for Millbrook’s marching band, junior Ryan Gibson drums to the beat. Ryan serves as a section leader and is a great role model for younger band members.

Tia Hunt, Section Editor

When thinking of talented musicians at Millbrook, the name Ryan Gibson will surely pop up. This current junior started learning how to play the clarinet in fourth grade, and since then he has picked up the oboe, bassoon, and drums. His love for music grew from there and has landed him spots in multiple groups, including the North Carolina All-State Honor Band, a prestigious band for the best student musicians in North Carolina. Aside from that, Ryan is also a member of the marching band, wind ensemble, Tri-M Music Honor Society at school, as well as a member of the Triangle Youth Philharmonic and woodwind quintets.

Ryan said, “My favorite part of playing in the band is being able to play and make music with others. It has changed me, challenged me, and given me opportunities in my life that I would not have ever dreamt of.” One of these opportunities includes when he played on stage at the Chicago Symphony in middle school. Some of the greatest musicians of all time have played there, and the orchestra is one of the five most famous American orchestras commonly known as the Big Five. He compared this experience to baseball players getting to play at Fenway Park or Wrigley Field. That experience was truly unique and showed him what a future in music could lead to. 

Although he plans on majoring in engineering in college, Ryan would love to always have music present in his life. Even though playing music takes up a lot of his time, he also loves listening to music. Ryan’s favorite musician is Jacob Collier, and his favorite bands include Snarky Puppy, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Queen. Alongside rock, Ryan also enjoys jazz; “Birdland” and “Fireshaker” are a couple of his most-liked songs. Ryan also tries to keep himself busy with non-music related activities. In school, he has been an active member of Millbrook’s student government since his freshman year. Outside of school, he volunteers at food banks whenever he can. How he balances all of this and his multiple AP classes is a mystery. Whether Ryan is helping decorate for school events or practicing for an upcoming concert, his involvement at Millbrook does not go unnoticed.