Time to jump on the sushi bandwagon

H. Hortman

The lunch sushi combo above includes one of Hayashi’s most popular rolls, the Punk Rock, in the far right. Hayashi Japanese Restaurant located in Wakefield, North Carolina provides customers with quality raw seafood and an outstanding dining experience.

Hannah Hortman, Staff Reporter

Sushi has become an iconic Japanese dish that leaves customers satisfied with their menu choice. Sophomore Melanie Nassar said, “My favorite sushi roll is the Dynamite roll from Chopstix [Gourmet Asian Restaurant and Sushi Bar] because it is a burst of flavor all in one bite!” Whether it is the fascination of eating bite-sized rolls or the pleasure of getting to try new combinations of fish, fillings, and toppings, sushi seems to have climbed up the ranks of popular dishes among Asian cuisine. Not only is it fun to eat, but it also has some worthwhile health benefits!

Aside from vegetable rolls, most sushi contains fish that is either raw or cooked. One of the best parts about fish is it is a low-calorie, high-protein food. It is packed with nutrients ranging from Vitamin D and B2 to minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Fish also contains omega-3 fatty acids which are essential to heart health and brain development. Those who consume fish experience rewards such as lowered risk of heart disease, stroke, autoimmune diseases, depression, and even aging. 

One of the main ingredients in sushi is seaweed, which can also be referred to as nori. Seaweed is another source of the important vitamins and minerals mentioned above. In addition, seaweed has supportive antioxidizing effects and high amounts of fiber. While there is not enough nori in one roll of sushi to actually provide these benefits, it is good to know that you are consuming food with nutritious value!

Overall, sushi is a great choice for a lighter, nutritious, and delicious meal. Those who may be wary of eating raw fish should start out with a simpler option such as an avocado roll or even a California roll. Then, move on to cooked fish such as rolls with shrimp tempura. Finally, try a tuna roll, and before you know it, you will be dying to have more! To satisfy your cravings, you may even consider trying out homemade sushi. The ingredients you would need are sushi rice, nori, assorted fish, and vegetables to include in your roll. You will also need a rice cooker and bamboo mat to roll the sushi. While it may seem intimidating, homemade sushi is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. Also, be sure to order take-out from your local sushi restaurant to support their business during this difficult time. The pandemic may not be ideal, but you can certainly still enjoy sushi from the comfort of your own home!