UNC systems modifies admission requirements due to COVID-19

Walking to class, these college students enjoy fellowship and their ability to learn together. As the COVID-19 outbreak has cancelled testing, the UNC system has made admission modifications for those who were unable to redeem themselves during the rest of their high school semester.

pxhere.com

Taylor Jones, Editorials Editor

The coronavirus outbreak has taken its toll on all parts of life as we knew it, by cancelling school and sports, along with many other things. Due to this outbreak, the UNC system is attempting to help students who wish to be admitted throughout this unforeseen, stressful and unknown season of our life. By imposing modifications, incoming freshmen will be considered if they were unable before. If they had no lost all hope to renew their scores and grades because of this outbreak, they are now up for consideration. These changes will be put into action in order to help the incoming freshman class as the virus resulted in the cancelling of SAT and ACT testing. The new policy indicates that universities will now consider admission for those who have a minimum weighted GPA of 2.5, minimum SAT score of 1010, and a minimum ACT score of 19. Considering these requirements, universities within the system may adjust these minimums. Although admissions offices can choose to accept based on GPA’s alone, students are still required to submit test scores. When this policy was originally proposed, it was expected to go into action in the year 2021. However, these changes will be effective not only for this incoming freshman class; these modifications will also stand for the next three years. The Board of Governors voted to expedite the process as they held a meeting over the phone on Monday where this final decision was made.