Teacher Tribute: Lock Whiteside

H. Hortman

Preparing his lesson plans for the day, Mr. Whiteside displays his sincere passion for teaching. He enjoys making a difference in students’ lives and being the person they can always count on, even beyond the walls of the classroom.

Hannah Hortman, Staff Reporter

Being a teacher is not an easy task, but Mr. Whiteside embraces it. He was raised by a single mother after his father passed away at a young age. This was a motivating factor for him as he believed college was his path to success. He understood the benefit of a good education, and he saw college as an equalizer for those with less fortunate life circumstances. He became the first in his family to receive a college education after graduating from North Carolina State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, as well as his Master’s. He is also actively enrolled at UNC-Wilmington for a degree in school administration. Mr. Whiteside is grateful to have had the opportunity to receive an education, and this explains why becoming a teacher was so important to him. He wanted to give back to the place that got him started.

Mr. Whiteside teaches AP Government and Politics, Civics and Economics, and Conversations in Diversity. As you can see, his passion lies in the humanities. When asked to describe his Conversations in Diversity class, he said, “It creates a safe environment for kids to express their opinions and thoughts about what is going on in the world and how that impacts them and their families.” Conversations in Diversity is a discussion-based class that covers sensitive topics in society. The class may discuss a multitude of topics including race, gender, and social class. Millbrook is a relatively diverse school, which adds value to this class by adding dimension to discussions. In other words, Millbrook’s diversity allows there to be a wide range of perspectives and opinions which engage students and incline them to contribute their own opinions. Thus, the class fosters the confidence needed for students to speak up and the skills necessary to communicate their thoughts effectively while also actively listening to others. 

Mr. Whiteside said his goal as a teacher was to make sure that “every student knows their own potential.” He is aware that students can get bogged down from what may be going on at home or in their environment. He wants to be that consistent person in the lives of those struggling students. Mr. Whiteside connects with his students in a way that many teachers have not explored. Junior Kali Smith said, “Mr. Whiteside is not one of those uptight teachers. If you have late work, he will understand. If you have something personal, you can always talk to him. He shares his own opinions and will give you his honest advice.” As a humanities teacher, he has the ability to have a profound impact on how his students view the world. Mr. Whiteside has shown his genuine and compassionate character throughout his teaching career. Therefore, he deserves to be recognized for this teacher tribute!