Music Now: Music Unheard

Cage the Elephant reaches more people through new social media links such as Tiktok. They are also increasing their fan base on Spotify reaching 11 million listens each month.

Joselyn Ordaz of The Guardian

Ashley Snyder, Staff Reporter

Music is a  massive part of our culture for centuries and has progressed over time. The most influential question is: what is the reason behind the fame of mainstream artists? By learning and talking about music creators, from Millbrook to around the world, we will discover more about our global music culture.  

Silas Mann, Track athlete, and previously elected freshman Mr. Millbrook, “Social media is my favorite way of spreading my music. I do not have a massive following on my music account, but I have active followers from all over the country and several parts of the world.” Silas loves to be able to cover people’s favorite songs. He adds that pre-pandemic he would play at restaurants in downtown Raleigh. Silas also says, “Millbrook does contribute to my music! I am taking the Music Production class that Millbrook offers to all students. I have so much fun working with all the different types of software and audio tools to help me make the music that I want to hear.”

As many dive deeply into the music industry, the same questions go unanswered. Who decides what music is heard? From North Carolina, some well-known artists include DaBaby, J.Cole, and Luke Combs. What do they do differently? DaBaby and J.Cole produce Rap style music while Luke Combs produces Country style music.  Although Arson Daily is a small band that started in Boone, they traveled to Raleigh where their reputation has flourished. Most people have never heard of them, try looking them up and giving them a listen!

Around the world, so many artists do not get the recognition they deserve. This includes Cage the Elephant, Alec Benjamin, and I DON’T KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME. In 2006, Cage the Elephant was formed in Kentucky as an indie and rock-style music group. The group is most known for their songs, “Cigarette Daydreams” and ”Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked.” Alec Benjamin is a singer and songwriter from Arizona. He started small, but kept writing music until his breakthrough single; “Let Me Down Slowly.” Every song of Benjamin’s provides a sincere and beautiful meaning. Conclusively, I DON’T KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME, (IDKHow) is a musical duo from Salt Lake City, Utah. Before signing with their record label, they were known as “the hottest unsigned band in the world” in 2018. 

In his opinion of popular music artists, Silas Mann says, “I think there are a lot of independent musicians that are starting to become mainstream, so a lot of newer mainstream music is becoming unique and straying away from the same old same old.” He includes that he dreams of affecting people with his music just as his favorite artists do to him. This contributes to the question of why certain artists get popular. Mainstream artists are maturing with the media. Music is always evolving, and artists are going to come and go, but the passion for music is everlasting.