A magical moment for Maggie

Pumping her fists in the air, Senior Maggie Leahy celebrates winning Homecoming Queen. This is the first year that a special needs student has been nominated for the coveted title at Millbrook.

Laura Pitman

Emily Ficker, Staff Reporter

Senior Maggie Leahy is like many students at Millbrook; she is on honor roll, plays sports, and enjoys hanging out with friends. The only difference between her and her classmates is that Maggie has a rare genetic disease called Down Syndrome. After junior Addison Harman was voted onto Homecoming Court, she made it her goal to have her friend Maggie on court with her as well. For the first time in Millbrook’s history, a special needs student was elected onto homecoming court. “This is a new chapter for Millbrook; the fact that students are coming together to overcome their differences and accepting others makes me so happy. It’s bridging a path between two worlds,” sophomore Jada Brinson said. The social media campaign ‘Vote for Maggie’ spread virally across twitter and instagram, even making it onto ABC11 News.
Maggie is a part of the Elite Cheerleading team made up of other students with disabilities. She even had the chance to perform at the Pep Rally with the Elite squad leading up to the Homecoming game. From the second I met Leahy, I could understand why she was nominated. She always has a smile on her face, remaining positive despite her disability. “Maggie inspires me everyday to stay positive with her glowing smile and ambition to be the best you can be,” winner of Mr. Millbrook, Bryce Carnevale, said.
Many students showed up to the Homecoming game against Wakefield in hopes of seeing Leahy crowned Homecoming Queen. At halftime, videos capture Maggie joyously jumping up and down when finding out that she had won the coveted title. All of Maggie’s friends and family joined her on the field to celebrate her win. Both of Maggie’s parents were in tears out of pride for their daughter. “I was so happy,” Maggie said, “and I really liked riding in the red car.” Leahy rode in a red corvette around the football field with a bouquet of flowers. To celebrate, Maggie attended the Homecoming dance with her friends after the game. Maggie’s win was truly a magical moment in Millbrook’s history.