How to Take Care of a Dog

This is Audrey Massey’s six-year-old golden retriever, Shelley. Audrey and her family take care of Shelley by taking her for long walks and paying for her health expenses.

A. Massey

Chandler Mason, Staff Reporter

There are different approaches and various strategies that people use to take care of their dogs. Here are a few tips and suggestions that can be used for all types of dogs. These tips include maintaining a clean and safe environment, having a healthy food regimen, establishing a nurturing relationship, and having a proper hygiene plan that will promote overall good health for the dog.

Providing the dog with a clean and healthy living space and environment protects them from potential hazards. By providing the dog with a proper food regimen, and following the veterinarian’s recommendations, one is making sure their dog is healthy and in shape. Next, a dog owner should have a good loving relationship with their dog. By having a good relationship with one’s dog, a dog owner is giving the dog the attention and affection they need, understanding their dog’s personal needs, and helping prevent unwanted behavioral problems their dog might have. As a dog and pet owner, having good training techniques and strategies helps the dog to develop the necessary commands and behaviors that contribute to the dog having a longer and greater chance of living a long and safe life. Lastly, giving a dog a good hygiene plan will improve the dog’s life. For example, when an owner has their dog examined regularly by a veterinarian, it helps provide the dog with needful checkups, vaccinations and promotes preventative measures in case the dog falls sick. Another example of good pet care is providing dental care and proper grooming. With proper dental hygiene, one is catering to the multiple breeds who are prone to gum disease and other health complications. By grooming the dog regularly a dog owner prevents matted hair, pet odor, overgrown nails, which can make it more difficult for dogs to walk. Even though several dog owners can use similar tactics to take care of their dog, a few dog owners believe that everyone has different tactics that they use to take care of a dog. 

Creative Writing teacher Mrs.Winfield believes that some people take care of their dog poorly and some don’t. This is displayed when she states,“I have a pitbull, and obviously, there are some stereotypes about…people mistreating them…those people do exist, but I have met a lot of other pitbull owners who are like me and treat their dogs like family.” Sophomore Audrey Massey would differ due to the fact that she divides responsibility with her mom. Audrey states, “I have a golden retriever named Shelly. I take Shelley on long walks, but my mom pays expenses.” Audrey and Mrs.Winfield show that there are different ways people can treat and take care of their dog whether responsibilities are divided or the pet is being treated poorly. In addition, they both also have similar tactics with other dog owners. Like how Mrs.Winfield treats her dog like family and how Audrey makes sure proper expenses are paid. Regardless of one’s view on taking care of a dog, all that matters is if the dog is taken care of properly.

The more one knows the more confident one will be to improve and provide a safe and beneficial home for the dog. Future dog owners can gain opportunities to own pets by going to local dog shelters like Wake County Animal Center and Rescue UR Forever Friend. In the end providing a healthy environment, food regimen, relationship, training technique, and proper hygiene plan can benefit a dog owner with taking care of their dog.