The Winter Wonderland in Raleigh, NC

Snow falls on top of Raleigh households during the month of January. The amount of snow prevented students from attending school for two instructional days.

M.Kent

Meghan Kent, Staff Reporter

The weather in Raleigh over the month of January had several ups and downs. The month started off with the temperature in the high 60s and 70s, then dropped gradually throughout the weeks. Over the last three weekends, it snowed a total of four inches. The average snowfall in Raleigh during the month of January is typically around two and a half inches, meaning that the amount of snow that fell was not extremely out of the ordinary. The record for the most amount of snow to land in one day in Raleigh was set in January 2000, with almost eighteen inches. 

The constant variation of weather may affect how students perform in school. Senior Haley Franklin says, “It would be easier to get out of bed and be fully awake in the morning and go to school if it wasn’t so cold.” The effect of weather on mood has been studied in both humans and animals. A psychological study concluded that the amount of sunshine, humidity, and temperature have the greatest effect on mood. The more extreme hot or cold the weather is, the worse mood a person will experience. A negative mood can affect a student’s performance in school disrupting the learning process. On the other hand, some students prefer the snow; freshmen Kelly Coats says, “I actually like colder weather and snow days because it gives me a break that I wouldn’t normally get.” 

In response to the three inches of snow that fell in Raleigh over the weekend of January 22nd, the Wake County Public School System canceled all school activities on Friday, January 21st and Monday, January 24th. Students reacted to the snow days with excitement, but not without criticism. Franklin says, “The snow days could be executed better, weather is not predictable but the schools should try to cancel early. It would make it easier on the students.” Wake County parents have criticised the school system in the past on their problems with sharing information in a timely manner. Following the 2020-2021 online learning school year, asynchronous snow days have been a topic of discussion. Suggestions are flying about whether snow days off should become asynchronous days instead. Senior Ethan Onesti says, “I do not think snow days should turn into asynchronous days because snow days should be a day to enjoy the snow and we should not have to worry about doing work they probably would not do anyways.”

Overall, students enjoyed the winter weather, in particular a break from school. Students hope that there will continue to be cancellations due to snow. The February forecast predicts that students’ hopes will not come true, with the weather gradually climbing throughout the month.