Best Buds Winter Dance

Photo By: Berkeley Sumner

A night to remember for all, the Best Buds Winter dance included both Millbrook and Sanderson. After having to skip last year’s dance, Best Buds was happy to carry on the tradition and welcome everyone into Winter festivities.

Berkeley Sumner, Section Editor

The happiest nights call for music and dancing, and both were present at this year’s Millbrook Best Buds Winter Dance. Sanderson Pals joined Best Buds in an amazing inclusive night last Friday night, February 4th. The dance was “filled with joy and fun” after the sun went down, said sophomore Maddie Wild.

Best Buds is a club offered at Millbrook that includes the special needs students and gives them a larger sense of community. They hold meetings every other week that include games, activities, and crafts. “The best way to describe best buds is a club of equality and friendship,” says Maddie. The club is a place where everyone is meant to feel welcome while having fun.

About a month of planning from the Best Buds officers went into the Winter Dance. Food was provided and munched on throughout the night. Pizza, chicken fingers, fruit, cupcakes, and more were all provided. The night began for the officers and other members of the club at around 4 pm when decorating and setup started. MEB was preparing for Winterbash the same night and shared their setup time with those from Best Buds. 

At a meeting the day before, club members worked with the buds to draw anything they wanted. These drawings were displayed around the entrance and were set up to feel like an art exhibit. After the dance, the buds were able to take home their drawings, but drawings were not the only piece of memorabilia from the dance. A photo booth was set up to capture more memories of the night. The photobooth printed photos for everyone in the picture on the spot, so no one left without something to hold on to.

Getting to know each other and making memories together is what the dance was all about, and the work of the officers and club members made that possible. No one was left out, and everyone got their fill of dancing, thanks to the DJ who brought the night together with the soundtrack. Oldies and newies (if you will) were played and kept the energy high. For more information on Best Buds, visit their Instagram @millbrook_bestbuds.