Millbrook’s Indoor Track and Field Season Ends on a High Note for Athletes in 4A State Championship

N. Johnson

Athletes are proud of their performance and cannot wait for the outdoor season.

Kendall Johnson, Staff Reporter

While Millbrook High School’s Indoor Track and Field season has been over for most athletes, a select group of talented athletes competed in the 4A State Championship this past weekend. All season, athletes work to achieve the goal of being able to reach the high qualification standards for this meet. On Saturday, February 12th, the State Championship was held in Winston-Salem at JDL Fast Track. Ten Millbrook athletes qualified and competed in the meet: 

• Dani Sanchez- 300-meter-dash, 500 meter; 
  • Kendall Johnson-55-meter-dash, 300-meter-dash; 
  • Daniel Stein- long jump; 
  • Justine Sanchez- 1600 meter;
  • Max DeAngelo- 300-meter-dash and 500 meter;
  • Kameron Kedzierzawski- 4×8 relay;
  •  Ryan Adams- 4×8 relay;
  •  Gabe Mann-  4×8 relay; 
  • Harrison Enyeart- 4×8, 1000, 1600, and 3200

These competitors did exceptionally well during this meet.  Kendall Johnson achieved a personal best in the 55-meter-dash, earning fifth place at the meet. Dani Sanchez achieved her personal best in the 500-meter-dash, and Sophomore Max DeAngelo is the 4A state champion for the 500-meter-dash, earring first place in that event as well as, placing fourth overall in the 300-meter-dash. This meet marks the end of the indoor season for most of these athletes. Dani Sanchez, Kendall Johnson, and Max Deangelo qualified for Indoor New Balance Nationals in their perspective events and will attend this March.

All of these athletes should be proud of their performances and dedication they put into this season.  Junior Justine Sanchez says she did not have many expectations for states;  she was just glad she qualified. She says, “For my race I just wanted to run and have fun with it, which I did. While I do think I could’ve raced better, or faster, I’m feeling very content with my performance and am just proud of myself!” She is looking forward to her upcoming outdoor season and says, “I am most excited about the meets. I love everything about meets, the week prior to it, getting to hang out with my teammates, and obviously racing and seeing my hard work pay off.”  Senior Harrison Enyeart says, “States was an amazing opportunity and learning experience for me. I think it did a great job preparing me for outdoor states which I am very excited about.” He is looking forward to a greater competition in the spring. We are proud of the Millbrook Wildcats and their successful season; continue cheering for the wildcats that have progressed this far and continue to break their personal records.