Honoring Mrs. King’s Passion Through the Dana King Memorial Scholarship

Grieving+the+loss+of+their+beloved+principal%2C+the+Millbrook+community+comes+together+to+honor+her+legacy+and+share+their+thoughts+and+feelings+around+the+tragic+news.+Mrs.+King+passed+away%2C+just+four+weeks+before+her+official+retirement+from+her+nineteen-year+role+as+Millbrook+High+School%E2%80%99s+principal.+

Provided by: A. Arias-Lopez

Grieving the loss of their beloved principal, the Millbrook community comes together to honor her legacy and share their thoughts and feelings around the tragic news. Mrs. King passed away, just four weeks before her official retirement from her nineteen-year role as Millbrook High School’s principal.

Hannah Hortman, Editor-in-Chief

The Millbrook community has been hit hard with abrupt news, leaving faculty, students, and parents to carry their loss with heavy hearts. Millbrook Principal Mrs. Dana King, unexpectedly passed away in her home. Shortly after, Mrs. King’s family notified the school and the news quickly spread.

The startling news was a shock to the entire school. Upon hearing of the heartbreaking loss of their long-time principal, members of the Millbrook community expressed their condolences towards Mrs. King and her family. Coach Davis writes, “There are no words. We thank you. We miss you. We pray for your family, our family. We are blessed having had you at the helm.” The Millbrook PTSA states, “We pledge our love and support to the Millbrook administration and staff who loved greatly and mentored well. Mrs. King was a gift to the Millbrook community and beyond, and neither she, nor the work she has done, will be forgotten.” 

Several faculty members also spoke out in regards to the impact that Mrs. King had on them. Mrs. Broadwell writes, “From my first observation as a first year teacher that included an entire legal pad sheet of concerns, to celebrating me as teacher of the year, I have grown so much as an educator because of Dana King.” Assistant Principal Melanie Sanchez tweets, “I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to work alongside and learn from such a fierce female leader. Forever our Queen Flamingo.” Mr. Medina writes, “Surreal loss for the Millbrook High School community. She hired me and gave me my start in Wake County. After 19 years as principal, her legacy and impact will live on, especially as we remember her and prepare for our centennial.” 

Mrs. Jones writes, “I will forever be grateful for having the best principal a school could have. Dana King, you will always be in my heart. Your leadership was impeccable and your love was genuine. ‘I am a better person for having known you.’ Thank you for making Millbrook the school that it is. As my heart is breaking, I will always remember that beautiful smile you always gave me.” As a faculty member at Millbrook for 15 years, Mrs. Jones has worked with Mrs. King for an extended period of time, making this news especially difficult.

Mrs. Bartney writes, “The principal that welcomed me into Millbrook High School nine years ago. I will forever hold onto your words of impartation. Thanks for believing in me.” Accompanying her tweet, she posted a photo of her escorting Mrs. King to her seat on Dana King Day, a surprise celebration on Monday, March 28th to honor her legacy in recognition of her well-deserved retirement.

Mrs. Broadwell writes, “Monday, we were able to celebrate her retirement that was to start in less than a month. I was able to induct her into service club and FFA and the senior class were able to present a student made sign for the campus in her honor. I will forever be grateful that we had Monday for her to see the tremendous impact that she made on an entire community for over 19 years as a Wildcat!”

On Thursday, March 31st, Mrs. King attended the opening night of Millbrook’s spring musical Matilda with her grandson, highlighting her admirable passion for supporting her school’s programs from the arts to athletics. To honor Mrs. King, her family has launched the Dana King Memorial Scholarship. This fund welcomes donations to the Millbrook High School PTSA as a way to show one’s sympathy. The money that is raised through this scholarship will go directly towards Mrs. King’s greatest passion – Education.

Upon learning of Mrs. King’s passing, Mr. Bunting reminds everyone of an important lesson: “Tell people you love them before you don’t get the chance to. No one is promised tomorrow.” Mrs. King has no doubt left her mark on Millbrook and will continue to be a part of this community through the Dana King Memorial Scholarship. Just as she says at the end of every senior graduation, “Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.” Rest in peace Mrs. King.