What’s The Deal With 2022 Final Exams

Provided by: L. Jones

Presenting what days each final exam will be administered, this schedule includes information every student needs for final exams. Final exams can be extremely stressful, but with the correct information, things can seem easier.

Lauren Jones, Section Editor

As the end of the school year gets closer and summer approaches, so do final exams. Information regarding final exams may be confusing, regarding who has to take it, when to take it, and what it can do to grades. Therefore, here is all the information students need in order to understand how final exams are being administered this year.

All students are required to take final exams in all of their classes, unless there are exemptions that people qualify for. Seniors are exempt from any non-state exams or teacher-made exams, as long as they have a projected final course average of a C or higher in each class. Absences will not be taken into account on determining whether seniors can be exempt from final exams. Students in AP/IB classes may also be exempt from taking a final exam; however, only if the student has at least a B in the class and was present for the AP or IB exam. All juniors, sophomores, and freshmen are required to take all final exams, unless they qualify for the AP/IB final exam exemptions. Regarding End-of-Course (EOC) exams, all students must take those exams for their classes as they are state exams.

Teacher-made final exams and CTE assessments will begin on Friday, May 27th and will continue through Thursday, June 2nd. With school being closed on May 30th for Memorial Day weekend, exams will resume on Tuesday, May 31st. Exams administered in the morning start at 7:25 am and continue through 10:20 am, while exams in the afternoon will be administered from 11:25 am to 2:20 pm. If students are required to take a morning exam, they can leave school after the exam as long as they have a ride. Students only taking exams in the afternoon can arrive at school after the first exam is administered and the lunch period is over. Lunch will be given to students staying at school for both exam times, starting at 10:20 am and continuing through 11:20 am. Exam schedules are based on class periods for all final exams and EOC exams and are shown in the picture attached. Makeups for all exams will be scheduled on Thursday, June 9th and Friday, June 10th, and additional details will be sent out during exam week.

All final exam scores count for 20 percent of the student’s final grade in each class and will be averaged into their final grade. Hence, the exam grades can either negatively or positively hurt the student’s grade, depending on what the current grade stands as. However, if any seniors choose to take a final exam to boost their grade in a class, if the student does poorly, the grade will not be entered into Powerschool if it will hurt their final grade. If any student is not exempt from a final exam and decides to not take a final exam, teachers are required to enter a zero for the final exam grade, which can hinder final grades drastically. Teachers can choose to make their final exams be in any form they choose, including cumulative projects, presentations, or traditional assessments, as long as it assesses students on the standards of the course. 

Final exams can be frustrating, especially while summer is right around the corner, but with this information, students will hopefully feel more confident on what final exams entail. The MHS Cat Talk staff wishes everyone luck while they study, prepare, and take each one of their final exams!