Sport of the Month

Men’s basketball

Provided by Adrian Scarborough

Filled with excitement, Adrian Scarborough steps on the court for his first varsity minutes. He is the youngest player on the team this year as a sophomore.

Evan Houze, Staff Reporter

The return of Millbrook basketball is under way, beginning with an impressive 3-0 record during the Phenom Jamboree. The team was put in the toughest bracket and put on a show, most superbly beating the twenty-second ranked squad in the nation in Word of God High School. For junior point guard Jordan Whitfield, the game may have had some added emotions as he transferred from Word of God over the summer to play for Millbrook. He said, “Playing them was a little awkward but I don’t know, how could it not be hype?” Sounds like this rivalry just got a little bit spicier.

The following weekend, participating in the Southeast Raleigh Jamboree, the group won both of their games and improved to a perfect 5-0 preseason record. Some familiar faces this year are the twin towers of forwards  6’6” Faison Brock and 6’5” Trejon Jacob. Other returners are guards Seve Williams, Rashad George, John Burwell, and Monte’ Harris. The playoff experience and new players has this team on everyone’s radar this year.

Aside from Jordan, an exciting new face is sophomore Adrian Scarborough, the youngest on the team. Along with the potential to be Millbrook basketball’s next great player, Adrian brings a phenomenal work ethic. He is in the gym every day for hours on end. Adrian said, “I just want to win this year. If I can have an impact as a sophomore and be a good part of a winning effort, I’ll be happy.” This is a great attitude from a younger player who has all the upside in the world.

Surprising nobody, Millbrook Varsity is ranked at the top of the Cap-8.The program is filled with potential. However, they are determined to win a state championship. A playoff loss is viewed as a failure within this team, which shows how good they really are. Coach McInnes posts an all-time record of 426-141, establishing nothing but success. Hard work, dedication, practice, and togetherness are preached and a record of that sort comes from nothing but great coaching. Coach McInnes may not take the credit, but he is the reason Millbrook is known as one of the best basketball high schools in the state. This season will be exciting as Jordan brings back the speediness at the point guard position lost by Chris Clemons’ departure. Length and height is not a problem as six players are over six foot three inches. Seve Williams and Monte’ Harris bring the sweet shooting guards every team needs. This program has about everything a basketball team could ask for player wise, with a great coaching staff to help them reach their potential. Another conference leading record is in store for Millbrook basketball, but a state championship is the goal.